Turbo Duel Academy

Welcome to our academy, this academy offers what you'll see in other academies, and MANY things that you won't see anywhere else. Come and join the fun.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Turbo Duel Academy

Welcome to our academy, this academy offers what you'll see in other academies, and MANY things that you won't see anywhere else. Come and join the fun.

Turbo Duel Academy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Are you new?Post an Intro!
Portal updated on: October 5th, 2010
TDA's Bounty Hunter's Lounge: Week 13 Bounties!

+2
Ruby
DanceJonDance
6 posters

The Best Way To Win

DanceJonDance
    DanceJonDance

Male Posts : 1160
    Speed Credits : 3876

The Best Way To Win Empty The Best Way To Win

Post by DanceJonDance Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:09 am

If I asked what the best way to win a duel was, what would you say? Luck? Well yes Yu-Gi-Oh could be described as a game of rock paper scissors on twenty different levels and luck plays a big role in the outcome of matches, but what if you could make your opponent lose the ability to pick rock? You'd instantly gain the upper hand over them because you know they'll pick either paper or scissors and this knowledge will dramatically increase your chances of winning. This can be done in Yu-Gi-Oh, but it can either be the easiest or most difficult thing to accomplish for a duelist; especially if they are beginners. Now if I asked how to accomplish such a feat, what would you say? Most would probably say to throw in overpowered cards like Dark Armed Dragon and build a deck around them, and most people would be 100 percent wrong. You see, the key to success isn’t found by top decking Dark Armed Dragon and hoping there are three DARK monsters in your grave. As a matter of fact, the key to success isn’t even found in your deck; it can be found in your side deck.

::What is the side deck?::
    I have heard people say things like “I don’t use a side deck because my main deck is so good” and I have never seen these people win tournaments in real life or in KCVDS. What these people really mean is that they are either too lazy to create a side deck or they simply do not know how to create one. In order to create a side deck we must first understand what the side deck is and the purpose it serves.
    The side deck is a selection of up to fifteen cards that a player can use to replace cards in their main decks. The replacing obviously can’t happen in the middle of a duel, it can only take place prior to a match or during a match. The side deck is most commonly used after the first duel of a match once a player has a good idea of what their opponent is using. The purpose of taking out cards from your main deck and replacing them with cards from your side deck is to gain the advantage over your opponent’s deck by taking out the cards that have minimal to zero effect on your opponent and replacing them with cards that will make your opponent’s deck, field, and hand presence fall apart.

::How to Build a Good Side Deck::
    Building a good side deck can be easy for some people and incredibly difficult for others. There are several steps you must take when you’re building a side deck. I will build a 10 card side deck for a deck and explain the process as you read on. The remaining five cards should be put together by you, the reader, to see if you’ve got the hang of properly building a side deck.

:: Step One: Examining Your Main Deck::
    Before you build a side deck you must build a competitive main deck, and once that’s done you can begin the process of creating a side deck. You must first examine your main deck and then you begin making card choices to compliment your deck. If you’re running Blackwings and want to add cards to counter other Blackwing decks then you will obviously refrain from adding cards like Concentrated Light or Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror because although they are good against Blackwings these cards would also screw you over. For this article I will be working with a basic Machina deck, and I must warn that this deck and side deck are probably not the most competitive. I am doing this on purpose in order to encourage readers to actually learn how to create a side deck by getting the basic idea of how to do so instead of having them net deck something I post so please don’t make comments about fixing the deck.

Here is the deck we will be working with:

::Monsters:: [15]
    [3] Machina Fortress
    [3] Machina Gearframe
    [3] Green Gadget
    [3] Yellow Gadget
    [3] Red Gadget
    ::Spells:: [15]
    [1] Heavy Storm
    [1] Mystical Space Typhoon
    [1] Limiter Removal
    [3] Solidarity
    [3] Smashing Ground
    [3] Fissure
    [3] Pot of Avarice
    ::Traps:: [10]
    [1] Call of the Haunted
    [1] Solemn Judgment
    [1] Trap Dustshoot
    [1] Mirror Force
    [1] Torrential Tribute
    [2] Bottomless Trap Hole
    [3] Dimensional Prison

To begin analyzing this deck we have to take a look at what the deck it, what the to win strategy is, its flow and so on.
    - In this deck the Machinas are supported by Gadgets to keep field and hand presence with plenty of destruction spells and traps to clear your opponent’s field and gain the upper hand. Pot of Avarice will allow you to recycle your cards while Solidarity will boost up your weak gadgets by 800 ATK points.
    - The way this deck wins is by getting Machina Fortress out to deal big damage to your opponent and keep bringing it back from the grave with the help of your gadgets.
    - The deck flows with Gadgets as the main engine to thin out the deck making it easier for you to reach either Machina Fortress or Machina Gearframe. It also has lots of monster destruction to help you defend yourself in case you don’t get your Machinas as soon as you’d like.

:: Step Two:: Know Where You’ll be Competing.::
    One of the most important steps is to know where you’re going to compete. This information will allow you to predict what you are likely to face. This is the human side of dueling which cannot be taught, cannot be net decked, and cannot be learned. You must make an educated guess regarding your competition. For example, if you were to compete in a KCVDS tournament where a ban list that prohibits the use Blackwings and Lightsworns then you must speculate what the most common decks in this tournament will be.

For the side deck we are creating we will pretend we are attending an upcoming Yu-Gi-Oh! Championship Series (YCS). With this information we can get a good idea of what we will be facing because the last two YCS top 32 decks have all been pretty consistent:
    -Infernities
    -Sabers
    -Blackwings
    -Heralds
    -Dandywarriors
    -Gladiator Beasts
    -Machinas
    -Froggy Monarchs

Make sure to see how many of each deck have been in the top 32. For example, in the last two YCSs the top two decks, in terms of how many players used them, were Infernities and Sabers so these two decks are the ones you should worry about the most.

:: Step Three:: See what already works in your main deck.::
    If you know what you’re very likely to face then step three becomes finding out what already works in your main deck against the decks you’ll face. In this situation the following cards work against the following decks:
    Fissure, Smashing Ground, Dimensional Prison, Torrential Tribute and Bottomless Trap Hole would all be good against Sabers, Blackwings, DandyWarriors, Machinas, and Froggy Monarchs, but may not be so effective against Infernities, and Heralds because of Infernity Barrier’s and Herald of Perfection’s ability to negate spells, and traps. Most of your cards are already good against most of the decks so you’re off to a good start.

:: Step Four:: Find cards that can work against multiple decks.::

The amount of cards allowed in a side deck are 15 meaning you have to pick the best 15 cards for the job at hand and picking cards that can work against several decks instead of focusing on just one deck is the key to making the most of your 15 card limit. The way you do this is by analyzing the possible decks your opponent will use the same way you analyzed your own deck.
    :: Current Side Deck: [02/15]::
    [2] Royal Oppression

The Best Way To Win 334j31k
    One thing all the decks have in common is the way they gain field advantage by special summoning, and the best way to stop special summoning would be Royal Oppression. Royal Oppression will be a common enemy to pretty much every deck, but you must also see if Royal Oppression will harm you as your opponent will also be able to use its effect. The only cards you special summon in your deck are Machina Fortresses while most of the decks you’re likely to face special summon monsters, tuners and synchro monsters meaning that you will be doing more damage to your opponent with Royal Oppression than he will be doing to you.
    :: Current Side Deck: [04/15]::
    [2] Royal Oppression
    [2] Consecrated Light

The Best Way To Win 4rysnp
    Royal Oppression can be a crippling blow to your opponent, but you can only have two in your side deck since it is semi-limited and you want to be able to get to the cards that will devastate your opponent as soon as possible. You got the special summoning thing out of the way and it appears they have nothing else in common. You must then proceed to analyzing other aspects of the decks. For example, Blackwings and Infernities are both DARK attribute so you can work with this by using cards that will cripple DARK attribute monsters. The most common cards that come to mind when you are trying to stop DARK attribute decks are Consecrated Light and Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror. I personally prefer Consecrated Light because Mirror will negate Blackwing’s effects, but they will still have access to cards like Blackwing – Sirocco the Dawn and others that are big beat sticks, and Consecrated Light will stop your opponent from getting these cards on the field without setting them and even when they are on the field they won’t be able to attack. However, before you decide which you will use you must go back to revising your deck and check how it would run with Consecrated Light in it and how it would run with Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror. Will either one of these cards slow your deck down if you were to side them in? If so which one would slow you down the least? Will having a monster face up on the field benefit you when the time to special summon comes? Or will a trap card serve the purpose better? In this deck you are running a really low amount of monsters so adding in another monster that will cripple your opponent further than a trap card should benefit you more in the long run so Consecrated Light would be the best option.

Consecrated Light is not on the ban list so then you must make a decision when it comes to how many copies of the card you will add. This process is aided by Step Two. If you know you will face a lot of Infernities and Blackwings then it’s probably a good idea to add two copies of the card, but if Blackwings and Infernities were not so popular then you’d probably just want to add one copy.
    :: Current Side Deck: [06/15]::
    [2] Royal Oppression
    [2] Consecrated Light
    [2] Crevice into the Different Dimension

The Best Way To Win Rgy0rb
    You now have four cards in your side deck that will deal with special summoning and dark decks. You must repeat the process of analyzing the potential decks you will play and find out more about how they get their rolling, how they special summon, etc. One thing that most of the decks have in common is their ability to use the graveyard in order to special summon; Infernities, Sabers, Blackwings, Dandywarriors, Machinas, and Froggy Monarchs all do this. To slow these decks down you must disrupt their graveyards and there are plenty of cards to choose from to do so. Some cards include D.D. Crow The Transmigration Prophecy, and Dimensional Fissure, however you can’t just add any of these cards to your side deck since some of them might end up screwing your deck over as well or slowing it down. One of the most commonly used cards for grave disruption in side decks is Crevice into the Different Dimension a card that, unfortunately, is not yet available in KCVDS with the following effect: Declare 1 Attribute and select up to 2 monsters with that Attribute from both Graveyards. Remove those monsters from play. This card can allow you to disrupt the graves of Infernities and Blackwings since they are both of DARK attribute, the graves of Machinas and Sabers are all of EARTH attribute, and the graves of Froggy Monarchs since frogs are all of AQUA attribute. Disrupting the grave can be a critical blow to some decks so it’s a god idea to run crevice at two. Since Crevice is not available in KCVDS you could try alternatives like the ones mentioned above.

:: Step Five:: Find cards that will work on individual decks.::
    Some decks can be crippled easily with a single card, but some times this card will most likely not work against other decks. Once you have gotten enough cards in your side deck that will allow you to deal with multiple decks at once you can start choosing cards that will help you deal with opposing decks individually. You will then repeat the process of analyzing the potential decks you will face, but unlike before you will now be focusing strictly on a single deck instead of finding a common weakness for all of them. Let’s start out with Blackwings.
    :: Current Side Deck: [08/15]::
    [2] Royal Oppression
    [2] Consecrated Light
    [2] Trap Hole

The Best Way To Win 9jdllg
    Bws thrive on their ability to swarm and synchro summon incredibly fast and the backbone of this ability is the card Black Whirlwind which requires your opponent to normal summon a Blackwing monster for it to activate. If you can disrupt this notion you can break the backbone of Blackwing decks and they will eventually fall apart. Dust Tornado and Trap Hole can both take care of Black Whirlwind, but the best choice would be Trap Hole because your opponent must normal summon in order to abuse Black Whirlwind’s effect. Once activated, your opponent will lose the ability to search their deck as well as lose a monster on the field giving you an advantage. You can choose to add one or two copies depending on how many Blackwing decks you think you will face. I will add two copies because I know Blackwings are still popular and are more accessible after the release of Gold Series 3. Now that we’ve got Blackwings covered let’s take a look at Sabers
    :: Current Side Deck: [10/15]::
    [2] Royal Oppression
    [2] Consecrated Light
    [2] Trap Hole
    [2] Gottoms’ Emergency Call

The Best Way To Win 205cm4y
    Much like Blackwings, Sabers get the upper hand on opponents with their ability to swarm the field and synchro summon. Some of the most common cards Saber players use are XX-Saber Darksoul, X-Saber Airbellum, XX-Saber Fullhelmknight, and XX-Saber Emmersblade. All these monsters are commonly used to synchro summon as Fullhelmknight and Airbellum are tuners and often end up in the graveyard allowing you to use the trap Gottoms’ Emergency Call to gain the upper hand. If you are unfamiliar with Gottoms’ Emengency Call it is a normal trap with the following effect: Activate only if there is a face-up "X-Saber" monster(s) on the field. Select 2 "X-Saber" monsters in either player's Graveyard(s). Special Summon those monsters to your side of the field. . This card will allow you to steal two of your opponent’s sabers like Fullhelmknight and Airbellum and tune for a synchro monster with your own monsters or steal a tuner and non-tuner from their grave to get a synchro monster without losing field advantage. You can also run XX-Saber Hyunlei in your extra deck and use the tuning material you steal with Gottoms’ Emergency Call to destroy your opponent’s back row which could contain Saber Hole and keep your Machina Fortress safe. This trap can be a tide changer when you are facing Sabers and you are very likely to come across many saber decks since they are very popular in this format which is why I’m adding two copies.

::Finishing your Side Deck::
    So far we’ve put together a ten card side deck that will take care of most of the meta you are likely to encounter. It is your job to finish the job and add cards that you think are best for the upcoming tournament. You must also remember that some duelists may surprise you with a deck that is completely unexpected so don’t dedicate your entire side deck to the meta. You are likely to encounter stun decks, burn decks, mill decks, and all sort of decks throughout the tournament. If you will be running the same deck for a while then you have to adapt with the changes Konami throws at you. Every two to three months Konami will release new sets all containing new archtypes with different attributes, different effects, and different ways to overpower your deck and it is your job to adapt properly to these new cards using the steps listed above.
    I’d love to see what you guys come up with for the remaining five cards needed for this Machina side deck. You may do so by replying to this post with the five cards you picked to gain the upper hand over some of the decks not covered and some of the surprise decks you may encounter. I’d also love to hear about side decks you guys build for other decks in this post or via PM. For those of you who made it this far into this long grueling article without falling asleep I hope the information will allow you to become better side deckers and ultimately better duelists.
    Ruby
    Ruby

Male Posts : 161
    Speed Credits : 244

The Best Way To Win Empty Re: The Best Way To Win

Post by Ruby Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:28 am

A very good guide indeed. A small tip though, pro saber players can chain their gottoms to your, making it useless. So you must wait and then chain your sided gottoms Wink

I'll comment something deeper (lol) a while later. But this is really useful Wink
    vem123
    vem123

Male Posts : 415
    Speed Credits : 6014

Post by vem123 Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:49 pm

Enjoyed reading your article as usual DJD. ( i do not like the deck examples , i run a very different machina deck and oppre is a main in that deck too (for me) .

I actually knew more of those, if not all but there some details i haven't mastered yet. As for the 5 remaining cards... 1-2 Cyber Dragon, 2 system down + 1 Sirroco OR 1 Cyber Dragon + 2 system down + 2 Imperial Iron Wall. It saves you from a sided system down and is good against macro decks too.

Thanks for the article DJD , it was really helpful, easy to read and very very interesting.

+1 rep Wink

Last edited by vem123 on Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
    BigBangMeteor
    BigBangMeteor

Male Posts : 315
    Speed Credits : 327

Post by BigBangMeteor Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:29 pm

Cyber Dragons and Siroccos are Light and Dark Monsters. If the rest of your deck is Light/Dark as well, they'll probably run an Imprisoning Mirror in their side-deck, and

I main Future Visions as part of my deck's strategy, but it can be a good side-deck option too.
    Ruby
    Ruby

Post by Ruby Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:41 pm

Use TK's in your side too, and Raikou's...

Raikou's are essential for Infernity Side, as they stop Holly Lights
    vem123
    vem123

Post by vem123 Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:35 pm

BBM : Machinas are an EARTH Deck Rolling Eyes cyber dragon counters machinas in case of a mirror match, and sirroco can counter blackwings.
    BigBangMeteor
    BigBangMeteor

Male Posts : 315
    Speed Credits : 327

Post by BigBangMeteor Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:12 pm

I forgot that this was for Machinas only.

How is 1 Sirocco going to counter the deck in any way? Your opponent will probably just suicide his Sirocco. Then Solidarity doesn't even work. That's why I'd maybe go for Light Imprisoning Mirror over Consecrated Light as a Side-Deck option for this deck, also.
    Ruby
    Ruby

Post by Ruby Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:21 pm

Sirocco is no good... I prefer TK's over him.
    vem123
    vem123

Post by vem123 Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:00 pm

I actually forgot the side i shoulda made was about machinas. the second side i put is better though

also Rai-oh if used wrong can prevent your gadgets from activating their effects. that;s why i do no put him in there
    Ruby
    Ruby

Post by Ruby Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:03 pm

Umm, You'll tribute Rai-Oh if you want... But doesnt matter really in gadgets...
    Tyann
    Tyann

Male Posts : 458
    Speed Credits : 1835
    GMT : +9

Post by Tyann Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:17 am

DJD wrote:Crevice into the Different Dimension a card that, unfortunately, is not yet available in KCVDS with the following effect: Declare 1 Attribute and select up to 2 monsters with that Attribute from both Graveyards. Remove those monsters from play.

iam still wondering, which best between Crevice and Soul release?
    Crevice (trap) need declare and only 2 monsters card and soul release (spell) no need declare and can removing up to 5^^
    Its nice article u made as usual^^
    Flameberga
    Flameberga

Male Posts : 272
    Speed Credits : 1284

Post by Flameberga Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:36 am

Crevice is better, u can chain it to opponent cards (mostly infernity mirage, debris dragon, etc)

edit:
    side note: see Tyann? DJD's can be used for that elemental war Razz
    DanceJonDance
    DanceJonDance

Male Posts : 1160
    Speed Credits : 3876

Post by DanceJonDance Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:54 am

Flameberga wrote:Crevice is better, u can chain it to opponent cards (mostly infernity mirage, debris dragon, etc)
    ^This

The fact that it's chainable makes it so that you can gain an advantage over an opponent. If your opponent uses something like Blizzard, Debris, Faultroll, Monster Reborn, etc. you can chain it and their card's effect will fizzle so it can be a nice 1 for 1. If your opponent tries to MST it then you can simply chain it and remove something like dandylion or vayu and they will have wasted an MST.

Soul release is a bad card period. I see a lot of players use it in eatos decks and well eatos is a bad card as well so soul release is a nice out in case your opponent has a nice graveyard but chances are that you 1. Get it too early and your opponent has less than five cards making it a waste of its up to five effect and it becomes a dead draw. 2. Get too late in the game and if your opponent's deck works best when they got lots of stuff in the grave chances are that you're going to get OTKd or have your card advantage seriously diminished before you can play release.

When in doubt use D.D. Crow.
    Flameberga
    Flameberga

Male Posts : 272
    Speed Credits : 1284

Post by Flameberga Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:01 am

yup, DD crow is a good side as well, doesnt need to be set, just it will mess up ur solidarity.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:17 pm