Turbo Duel Academy

Welcome to our academy, this academy offers what you'll see in other academies, and MANY things that you won't see anywhere else. Come and join the fun.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Turbo Duel Academy

Welcome to our academy, this academy offers what you'll see in other academies, and MANY things that you won't see anywhere else. Come and join the fun.

Turbo Duel Academy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Are you new?Post an Intro!
Portal updated on: October 5th, 2010
TDA's Bounty Hunter's Lounge: Week 13 Bounties!

2 posters

Forgotten Gems

OptimusYale
    OptimusYale

Male Posts : 453
    Speed Credits : 2825

Forgotten Gems Empty Forgotten Gems

Post by OptimusYale Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:33 pm

So here it is, another article by me. This time I hope to give you guys some thoughts about the possible resurrecting of the amazingly forgotten toon cards. Toons are the most unsupported type in yugioh but they have such amazing potential. This essay will discuss what could be added to strengthen but not break my favourite old school cards!

Look here for toon info!

Firstly it is worth raising the main strategies that are involved in toon decks, and also the benefits of those cards are. Then will come the weaknesses and then my suggestions. Again this will be a lengthy article so I thank you for reading.

One of the main advantages of toons is the ability to sacrifice scape goats to summon them. As they are not used as tributes, they are used as payments to special summon. This means that scape goats can be used to summon blue eyes toon and dark magician girl in the same turn....as well as a normal summon!

Obviously the main strategy of the toons is to get toons out. So first we'll look at the magic card, Toon World.

Toon World

Pay 1000 life points to activate this card

Not a great card on it's own. This is one of the problems of toon decks. This magic card is pointless on its own, you need to run at least two of them and it has no effect worth talking about on its own. So we'll move on!

So thats the main magic card which this deck needs in order to well....function. Another useful magic card is this:

Toon Table of Contents
    Add 1 card from your deck which includes toon in it's name, or is named 'Manga Ryu-ran'

Again this card is essential in a toon deck. Also running 3 is heavily advised due to its amazing search ability. This card is the reason you can get away with running 2 toon worlds. Just play this card and search it out. Or if the card is already out on the field, then search for those useful toon monsters that you want to summon. Words cannot describe how great this card is. It can also be incredibly useful when running toons with spellcasters. Skilled black on the field, burn 3 copies on contents and you have a Dark Magician on your side of the field. Of course this assumes you want to run spellcasters with toons...which I advise given the current state of toons...but thats for another day!

Next on my list is to look for some of the more important monsters in the toon set, I will mention in the disadvantages cards which are utterly useless in a toon deck!

Toon Dark Magician Girl
    2000/1700

This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card can only be Special Summoned while "Toon World" is on your side of the field. You can Special Summon this monster from your hand, but Tributes are required for monsters Level 5 or more. When "Toon World" on the field is destroyed, this card is also destroyed. If your opponent doesn't control a Toon Monster, this card can attack your opponent's Life Points directly. If a face-up Toon Monster is on your opponent's side of the field, you must select the Toon Monster as an attack target. Increase the ATK of this card by 300 points for each "Dark Magician" or "Magician of Black Chaos" in either player's Graveyard.

This card is the SOLE reason for running a Toon Spell Caster deck. Insanely useful and the only class B toon (See the link above for the classes). She can attack the first turn she is summoned, is summonable via magicians circle, gains attack for the dark magicians in the graveyard AND can attack direct. Thats 2000 LP's off your opponent near enough for free. And also, which makes her the greatest toon, she doesnt require a cost to attack. that is a life saver! Anyways she's awesome...and the card is totally cute too!

Toon Gemini Elf
    1900/900

This card cannot attack during the turn that it is Normal Summoned, Flip Summoned, or Special Summoned. When "Toon World" on the field is destroyed, this card is also destroyed. If "Toon World" is on your side of the field and your opponent does not control a Toon Monster, this card can attack your opponent's Life Points directly. When this card inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent's Life Points, your opponent discards 1 card randomly from his/her hand.

This card is awesome for a number of reasons. It can be summoned without Toon World on the field, she doesn't cost and when she inflicts damage you discard a random card from your opponents hands. This makes her a great card to control your opponents hand. Her problem however is the inability to attack the turn she is summoned. This is the biggest pain with toon cards. Waiting a turn to attack can often mean your toons are doomed to die in your opponents turn, before you have the chance to attack! This goes with ALL toons in category A and Category C (and as only toon DMG is category B, 99% of toon monsters have this weakness).

Those are the two main cards I think are useful in a toon deck. Both are spellcasters, which again is why a Toon magicians deck is so helpful! So apart from these two...I think the other toons are weak, or their effects are nothing special. Blue Eyes Toon is great if you manage to summon it and keep it alive one turn, same goes for Toon Skull. Toon Goblin Attack Force is good for the fact its 2300 attack monster that can't attack the turn it's summoned.

The weakest card in the set is Toon Defence.

Toon Defence

When your opponent's monster attacks a face-up Level 4 or lower Toon Monster on your side of the field, you can make the attack a direct attack to your Life Points.

This card I feel is a disappointment. When you run a straight toon deck, your LP's are always a concern. There's alot of payment involved so taking a direct attack to keep your toon alive is very risky at best. I would not suggest running one of these in any toon deck.

My Suggestions

So apparently toons made a brief appearance on Yugioh GX, I wouldnt know as I never got round to watch it (on my list after the originals).

So here are the cards out of those which I feel could and should make an appearance into the OCG

Toon Briefcase

Activate if you control a face-up "Toon World" when your opponent Normal Summons a monster. Return that monster to its owner's Deck.

That is a nice effect if I say so myself. Helps to protect your monsters for the turn that they cannot attack. Your opponent normal summons a monster to kill yours, you return it to the deck. You now know what your opponent has on their next draw and how to protect yourself. Nice!

Comic Hand

Equip only to a monster your opponent controls. Gain control of the equipped monster. The equipped monster is treated as a Toon monster. If you do not control a face-up "Toon World", destroy this card. If this card is removed from the field, return the equipped monster to its previous controller. If your opponent does not control a Toon monster, the equipped monster can attack your opponent directly.

WOW! I know this card will never see the light of print...but what an incredible card that would be. Similar to the original Toon World effect (in the anime) and it would just be totally awesome! Imagine something like black metal dragon or FGD with this card..instant win! To make this more playable in the game, maybe have a reduction of attack say 1000? Or give it a cost. I know I just moaned about costs in toon decks, but seriously...how could you not want to pay 800lp's to activate an effect liek this!?

Toon Kingdom

Send the top 5 cards from your Deck to the Graveyard to activate. This face-up card's name is treated as "Toon World". While this card is face-up on the field, by removing from play the top card from your Deck, 1 "Toon" monster you control cannot be destroyed by battle.

A much nicer eff than the original Toon World. The cost of 5 cards is much nicer to take than 1000 lps. Would also help mill your deck down. I can't see why this card would not make it into the OCG. Maybe it's secondary effect is a little overpowered...so maybe drop that or make it so it has to be a card from your hand and a card from your deck. I seriously would love to see this card!

So these are the cards the anime has thought of...now its time for mine! Anything is bold is the effect that I would Add!

Toon Dark Magician
    2500/2100

This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card cannot attack the turn it is summoned or special summoned. This card can only be Special Summoned while "Toon World" is on your side of the field. You can Special Summon this monster from your hand, but Tributes are required for monsters Level 5 or more. When "Toon World" on the field is destroyed, this card is also destroyed. If your opponent doesn't control a Toon Monster, this card can attack your opponent's Life Points directly. If a face-up Toon Monster is on your opponent's side of the field, you must select the Toon Monster as an attack target. When this card attacks, you must remove from play a spell card from your graveyard,hand or deck. When this card is in your graveyard, it is treated as a Dark Magician.

I feel that this card would be a great card to have in a deck. I would probably like to see it have an ability to attack the turn it is summoned...however I would think it would be too powerful as it can be summoned by tributing scape goats and that would mean a 2500 atk direct for nothing!

Toon Universe

Field Card
    All face up monster's are treated as Toon monsters. Any toon monster which requires a life point cost to conduct an attack is reduced to 0. This card is also treated as Toon World. When this card is destroyed, destroy all toon monsters on your side of the field and one monster your opponent controls.

This card seems pretty cool. I feel that the reduction in cost of attacks is fair as toons can no longer attack direct lps unless your opponent is setting monsters. Maybe could see some rape and its effect probably does need a little work, but it's late and I thought it seemed pretty sweet eff.

Toon Luster Dragon

Dragon/Toon
    1900/1600

This card can only be Special Summoned while "Toon World" is on your side of the field. If it is special summoned, you must pay 500 life points.You can Special Summon this monster from your hand, but Tributes are required for monsters Level 5 or more. When "Toon World" on the field is destroyed, this card is also destroyed. If your opponent doesn't control a Toon Monster, this card can attack your opponent's Life Points directly. If a face-up Toon Monster is on your opponent's side of the field, you must select the Toon Monster as an attack target.

Toon Vorse Raider

Beast Warrior Toon
    1900/1200
    This card can only be Special Summoned while "Toon World" is on your side of the field. If it is special summoned, you must pay 500 life points. You can Special Summon this monster from your hand, but Tributes are required for monsters Level 5 or more. When "Toon World" on the field is destroyed, this card is also destroyed. If your opponent doesn't control a Toon Monster, this card can attack your opponent's Life Points directly. If a face-up Toon Monster is on your opponent's side of the field, you must select the Toon Monster as an attack target.

Basically these last two monsters are an indication. This indication is generic monsters which can be summoned without Toon world on the field, but when its on the field it can attack directly and can be special summoned (including a cost of 500 lps, built in ultimate offering). I dont think they'd be too broken...not more broken than Judgement Dragon or DAD. I could add a few more, but it's 1.30 am and I have to be up early tommorow.

I hope you enjoyed this article. Please leave comments as I laboured over this to create discussion with you guys. This will be posted elsewhere in a day or two!
    WilBer
    WilBer

Female Posts : 508
    Speed Credits : 1616

Forgotten Gems Empty Re: Forgotten Gems

Post by WilBer Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:36 am

-.- i nvr heard about toon vorse raider / luster dragon , toon field spell , and toon DM

where did u get them?
    OptimusYale
    OptimusYale

Male Posts : 453
    Speed Credits : 2825

Post by OptimusYale Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:40 am

I created them. Just after the Anime cards I discussed I said I'll suggest some cards with effects that I feel would rescue toons from the depths of the rubbish bag. I think my Toon DArk magician would work excelently in a toon deck, as well as the spell caster toon combo. IDMG and toon DMG would still get the effects, and also the discarding spell card is a little bit disadventageous at times.

Vors and Luster were there just to show that other toon cards should be added. The bold is the part of the effect that I omited. notice they can attack the turn they summon, and they only cost when you special summon them (which can only take place when toon world is out). I was also thinking of toon monarchs when I wrote this...but it was too late to create them!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 11:29 pm