Turbo Duel Academy

Welcome to our academy, this academy offers what you'll see in other academies, and MANY things that you won't see anywhere else. Come and join the fun.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Turbo Duel Academy

Welcome to our academy, this academy offers what you'll see in other academies, and MANY things that you won't see anywhere else. Come and join the fun.

Turbo Duel Academy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Are you new?Post an Intro!
Portal updated on: October 5th, 2010
TDA's Bounty Hunter's Lounge: Week 13 Bounties!

2 posters

How to write an article by Optimus Yale

OptimusYale
    OptimusYale

Male Posts : 453
    Speed Credits : 2825

How to write an article by Optimus Yale Empty How to write an article by Optimus Yale

Post by OptimusYale Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:44 am

Hopefully some of you guys who are new to the forums and some veterans will want to write an article to enter the article of the month competition. So I thought it would be a good idea to write a guide on how to write a successful article about the great game of yugioh.

Finding A Topic

This is probably the hardest thing about writing an article, finding a subject to write about. There have been many times where I wanted to write an article here but got stumped at finding a topic to write about. Here's a few pointers about what to write about.

1. Certain cards/ archetype

Seen a card that you think is broken? Seen an old card but thought of a new use for it? No matter what you can always write an interesting article about cards. For examples on successful articles like this I suggest you look here.

https://turboduelacademy.forumotion.com/articles-fan-fiction-f29/gladiator-beasts-rulers-of-today-from-ancient-roman-times-t1458.htm

and

https://turboduelacademy.forumotion.com/articles-fan-fiction-f29/the-new-game-changer-t1426.htm

2. Want to rant at how the game has become? Want to create an intelligent discussion about an old deck type that you think could be reborn by creating new cards? These are my favourite types of article as they can often be interesting to write and interesting to read. Examples are here

https://turboduelacademy.forumotion.com/articles-fan-fiction-f29/the-broken-game-and-god-cards-t1203.htm

and

https://turboduelacademy.forumotion.com/articles-fan-fiction-f29/forgotten-gems-t1314.htm

REMEMBER the key thing about a successful article is to be interested in the topic. If you don't really care about the topic the reader will know. Passion is contagious, and if your article reeks of passion your reader will automatically know and enjoy your article that little bit more!

Research
    Research is where the intelligent part comes. Knowing the rulings of the cards your discussing or the support cards for the archetype your discussing is essential for making your article successful. If you constantly make incorrect assumptions about rulings your reader will be frustrated and you will look like a fool. Nobody wants that, also it will help improve your dueling abilities if you know the rules of the game and the cards you use inside out Smile

The Writing Process

This part could either be the hardest or the easiest section of an article. If the topic means something to you, or you are enthusiastic about the topic then the article will flow easily as the thoughts hit the keyboard. However if you write what you think, make sure it makes sense and follows a logical path. If your article is illogical or you start talking about something completely different to the topic, it won't flow well and the reader will not enjoy it.

If you are not a native English speaker then this part will be made even more difficult. The grammar that you use in your native language will often be different, and you may miss out important grammatical things which help the reader to enjoy the article. If this is the case, plan your article, write your article then if you want someone to proof read it and correct mistakes, feel free to contact me via a PM and I will do my best to change any problems you have with grammar. I'm an English as a Foreign language teacher anyway, so I'm more than happy to help you out! Same goes for native speakers who are not confident in their writing abilities, I will happily proof read things for you.

Remember EVERYTHING you write has a beginning a middle and an end. The beginning should introduce the topic you are writing about. Make it entertaining, crack a joke if you can about the topic your writing about. Entertainment is why we read these articles...to keep ourselves active and to be amused Smile
    The middle is the pain part of the article. Everything you introduced in the beginning should be discussed here in the middle of the essay.
    The end is the easiest part. Round up your essay with a few sweeping statements about what you've discussed and what changes you would make to the game or the cards.

Staying on topic

This is something everyone struggles with. From beginners to pro's we all struggle to keep on topic. In university I often found myself straying of topic in essays and same goes for writing articles here. I can't think of examples but if your writing about the God cards, keep to God cards and related cards (such as toons to help make tribute fodder). Its the worst thing when your reading a topic and it starts off about one thing and it finishes somewhere completely different.

Formatting

Everyone has their own unique form of formatting an article. Some like to write continuously in italic font, some like to use italics for titles. It doesn't matter how you format it as long as it's consistent. If you use italics for titles, then you only use italics for titles otherwise it can get confusing. Using Bold is also good for titles, as Italics are often used for card effects. Another nice formatting technique is to use the colour of the card in the title. So effect monsters are orange, traps purple etc. This makes the names stand out and if you don't use images like I don't, it helps set up what card type you are using.

Discussion

Make sure when you write your article you are intelligent about the things you write about. Make sure you talk about the pro's and con's of the topic. For example that new starlight road card, it seems incredibly broken but you must include the negative aspects such as no resurection for stardust dragon and that its rare 2 cards are destroyed at the same time, as well as talkign about the positives so you will save your monsters from a lightning vortex as well as pulling out a new monster to bolster your attacks.

Also prepare for the questions that will arise once you have finished. You should know the topic so well that you can discuss with the readers certain aspects of your article and clarify any points they think are obscure. Don't flame someone who doesn't agree, nor flame someone for pointing out your wrong in a ruling. Accept their criticisms and remember them the next time you write an article

Thats the end of this pointer. If you think I have missed any key aspects just PM and I'll add them to the article. The main reason I'm finishing now is that I have to get back to work. Hopefully this is a helpful introduction and guide into the world of article writing. Feel free to PM me with any article you have (and I will also help with English articles you write for school as long as you ask me nicely enough)

Peace out!
    DanceJonDance
    DanceJonDance

Male Posts : 1160
    Speed Credits : 3876

How to write an article by Optimus Yale Empty Re: How to write an article by Optimus Yale

Post by DanceJonDance Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:56 am

Haha nice Optimus, you so beat me to it.
    I was going to write an article about this Razz Hopefully people will follow your advise so we can have a more legit Author of the month for february, and the nominees are not just us xD
    OptimusYale
    OptimusYale

How to write an article by Optimus Yale Empty Re: How to write an article by Optimus Yale

Post by OptimusYale Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:02 am

Hah great minds think alike Smile

Well there's already 3 authors this month Razz And some point soon I'll write a Ygo article, it's just a bit hectic at the moment and also I have a severe case of writers block Razz

There's a how to write a successful fanfic down the bottom. Maybe sticky the two as a guide for others?
    DanceJonDance
    DanceJonDance

Male Posts : 1160
    Speed Credits : 3876

Post by DanceJonDance Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:16 am

I was thinking about that, I haven't read Phoenix Enforcer's though. I'll have to see it and revise it if I'm gonna add it as a sticky. Right now i'm trying to finish up the new GFX. We're getting a nice boom of new members so things are going well, hopefully among those members there's more article writers x]

btw we need to duel D:
    OptimusYale
    OptimusYale

Post by OptimusYale Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:27 am

I know...I would install KC on this pc but I'm not sure if the boss will look kinds of me playing games all day. Plus I wont be able to install ham either so It will defo be tommorow!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 4:03 am