Turbo Duel Academy

Welcome to our academy, this academy offers what you'll see in other academies, and MANY things that you won't see anywhere else. Come and join the fun.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Turbo Duel Academy

Welcome to our academy, this academy offers what you'll see in other academies, and MANY things that you won't see anywhere else. Come and join the fun.

Turbo Duel Academy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Are you new?Post an Intro!
Portal updated on: October 5th, 2010
TDA's Bounty Hunter's Lounge: Week 13 Bounties!

+5
Tyann
Crescent
Aludra
The Detonator
firefsp
9 posters

banned deck - burn

firefsp
    firefsp

Male Posts : 207
    Speed Credits : 906

banned deck - burn Empty banned deck - burn

Post by firefsp Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:28 am

i've got a question..

i see that tourneys forbids us to use decks like OTK, FTK, and Burn..

about the burn, does it mean that we are not allowed to use cards that inflict effect damage?

like we use D. Hero deck but we have a "Ceasefire" on our deck..
    is it considered a burn deck?

~thanks~
    The Detonator
    The Detonator

Male Posts : 1147
    Speed Credits : 850

banned deck - burn Empty Re: banned deck - burn

Post by The Detonator Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:01 am

There's a difference between a burn card and a burn deck.

Cards like Caius the Shadow Monarch can inflict burn damage, but not always. Other cards like Ceasefire also can inflict some burn damage but once again not always (if there is are normal monsters on the field its burn effect does nothing). A burn card is classified by having a burn effect that will ALWAYS happens (not depending on the situation). A burn Deck is classified as a Deck that aims at using effect damage to reduce the opponents life points to 0, not battle damage.

So burn cards ALWAYS inflict burn damage when activated, other cards that don't always inflict burn damage depending on the situation isn't considered a burn card.
    Examples of cards that will always inflict damage are Magic Cylinder and Stealth Bird etc.
    Ceasefire is not a burn card because its effect will not always inflict damage when activated.

Burn decks aim at reducing life points to 0 through effect damage.

Hope this helps.

--The Detonator--

Last edited by The Detonator on Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:58 am; edited 1 time in total
    Aludra
    Aludra

Female Posts : 356
    Speed Credits : 3991

Post by Aludra Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:45 am

just like deto said,,
    burn deck is a deck that aims to reduce opponent LP to zero by cards effects,
    I have been facing a decks like that a couple times and killed in 2-3 turns -.-
    Des koala is the scariest card for me, cz can infilcts more than 1000 dmg easily, or even 2000 dmg!!..
    Crescent
    Crescent
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male Posts : 408
    Speed Credits : 742

Post by Crescent Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:51 am

Burn decks... When well built, like Aludra said, you'll die fast >.> Only once did I face a decent burn deck, they're obviously hard to make (though he just beat me with a lucky draw Razz). But, like Det stated, and Aludra stated by paraphrasing Det, those decks focus very strongly on card effects, thus why Skill Drain, Royal Decree, Simorgh, all those kill the decks cause they no longer have their effect power Razz Prime Dragon even goes one step further and makes it to add instead Razz Hope this helped your question like the last two posts Very Happy
    Tyann
    Tyann

Male Posts : 458
    Speed Credits : 1835
    GMT : +9

Post by Tyann Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:07 am

Burn deck usually have a lot of card that can stop an attack of opponents for perform its combo perfectly, like gravity bind, limit area B, messenger of piece.... But its an old tactics, cuz at now the amount of cards that have an effects like that are drastically increased....We should be prepared some cards that have an effect like destroying any spell trap in the field to protect us from a deck like this..... But, how can i win if my opponnents activate a cards like Final Coundown and run many cards that have like BAttle Fader effect in his/her deck, LOL... Ugh, its hurt me little by a little,....
    Aludra
    Aludra

Female Posts : 356
    Speed Credits : 3991

Post by Aludra Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:25 am

@tyann
    that kind of deck called stall. and yea thats true its annoying -.-
    u should playing fast if dueling a deck like that,
    even tough its hard to even declare an attack, lol xD
    thats why that kind of deck are banned in most tournament in kcvds
    CaptainChrno
    CaptainChrno

Male Posts : 179
    Speed Credits : 2359

Post by CaptainChrno Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:16 pm

It's just a matter of preference really Razz If you ask me, burn, mill, stall, exodia, ftk, and to some extent, otk deck are banned because they play with the least interactivity with the opponent which makes the games fun just in one-side Smile

Anyway, to anwer the topic. In my opinion, Burn deck is a deck with sole purpose of trying to reduce opponent's LP to 0 through effect damage (a.k.a. Burn damage). Hence, if you use for example Lightsworn deck with Ceasefire and Magic Cylinder teched in, I'm pretty sure no one would say that you are using burn deck.
    WilBer
    WilBer

Female Posts : 508
    Speed Credits : 1616

Post by WilBer Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:19 am

The Detonator wrote:There's a difference between a burn card and a burn deck.

Cards like Caius the Shadow Monarch can inflict burn damage, but not always. Other cards like Ceasefire also can inflict some burn damage but once again not always (if there is are normal monsters on the field its burn effect does nothing). A burn card is classified by having a burn effect that will ALWAYS happens (not depending on the situation). A burn Deck is classified as a Deck that aims at using effect damage to reduce the opponents life points to 0, not battle damage.

So burn cards ALWAYS inflict burn damage when activated, other cards that don't always inflict burn damage depending on the situation isn't considered a burn card.
    Examples of cards that will always inflict damage are Magic Cylinder and Stealth Bird etc.
    Ceasefire is not a burn card because its effect will not always inflict damage when activated.

Burn decks aim at reducing life points to 0 through effect damage.

Hope this helps.

--The Detonator--

so if like that , is des koala considered as burn card or not ? since its not always burn if your opponent have no hand ???? but in many burn deck they use it
    Crescent
    Crescent
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Crescent Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:35 am

It is not, because of the fact that it's possible for it to not work. As long as there is a possibility, it isn't a burn card :]
    CaptainChrno
    CaptainChrno

Post by CaptainChrno Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:52 am

Idk if there's an official definition of burn card but here's my another 2 cents.

In my opinion about burn card, any card whose usefulness is only to burn and, in case of a monster card, has high defense or invicibility to make a useful wall is burn card. So yes, Des Koala is a burn card in my mind. Cards like Caius and Gallis are not burn card because its burn effect can be considered as a side bonus.
    Crescent
    Crescent
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Crescent Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:40 am

Hmm. The first part of your definition I surely agree with, high defense too, but invincibility then points my mind towards stall then burn, because hardly any invincible monsters have really high defense to cause the damage from difference. But, not arguing your definition, Chrno, just putting in my thoughts ^^
    CaptainChrno
    CaptainChrno

Post by CaptainChrno Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:58 am

I like arguing XD anyway, the essence of having a wall in a burn deck is not to inflict damage by atk/def difference. It's to protect ur own LP. Des Koala is very good in burn deck, aside of its burn effect, it has high defense (1800) in which it serves a good purpose for defense opening like what Hamster is also good for. Burn deck itself is weak in defending its LP from battle hence why high def monster or even better, battle invicible, with burn effect is highly-sought in building burn deck Razz Or in most cases, hybrid it with stall deck.
    The Detonator
    The Detonator

Male Posts : 1147
    Speed Credits : 850

Post by The Detonator Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:02 am

Des Koala is considered a burn card.

In addition to my general statement, burn cards are used in most cases to BURN. other cards like CC said, such as Caius, are used to remove a card on the field from play. If it does damage its a bonus. With Ceasefire, you want to flip all monster on the field face-up and stop flip effects. If you burn its a bonus. With Koala, you defend, but you don't defend for its high def (because there are better defenders), you defend to be attacked and burn.

In addition to my statement, if the focus of the card is to burn, it is a burn card, if the card always inflicts effect damage it is a burn card.

--The Detonator--
    firefsp
    firefsp

Post by firefsp Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:14 am

i see...
    in this case how about cards like D.D. Dynamite?
    is it a Burn card?

uh, i guess yes
    overd0se.KayKay
    overd0se.KayKay

Male Posts : 200
    Speed Credits : 2611

Post by overd0se.KayKay Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:22 am

Imo burn cards are cards that burn (even caius). Nearly every burn card can be played in each deck. I even play des Koala in normal decks (hamster deck). Or in some decks I use Wave motion cannon to boost the game for example if I play counter fairys. But a single burn card or 5 doesnt make a normal deck a burn deck. A burn deck focuses on burning the opponent without attacking (direct attack is no burn imo).
    firefsp
    firefsp

Post by firefsp Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:00 am

i see, then it's alright if i toss some D.D. Dynamite or Magic Cylinder then Razz
    Atem
    Atem

Male Posts : 114
    Speed Credits : 1156

Post by Atem Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:04 am

Yeah it's alright.
    Take Aki for example, she doesn't have a burn deck, but she's hotter than fire itself. XD
    Crescent
    Crescent
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Crescent Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:26 am

Question answered, topic locked

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content