Turbo Duel Academy

Welcome to our academy, this academy offers what you'll see in other academies, and MANY things that you won't see anywhere else. Come and join the fun.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Turbo Duel Academy

Welcome to our academy, this academy offers what you'll see in other academies, and MANY things that you won't see anywhere else. Come and join the fun.

Turbo Duel Academy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Are you new?Post an Intro!
Portal updated on: October 5th, 2010
TDA's Bounty Hunter's Lounge: Week 13 Bounties!

4 posters

Drastic Drop Off VS Pot of Duality

JUSTIN BAILEY
    JUSTIN BAILEY

Male Posts : 13
    Speed Credits : 500

Drastic Drop Off VS Pot of Duality Empty Drastic Drop Off VS Pot of Duality

Post by JUSTIN BAILEY Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:29 pm

I asked this question on Pojo a while ago, but I didn't get concrete answer (it favored toward being able to use DDO, though).

So here is the scenario:

Player A plays "Pot of Duality" from his hand. The effect goes through, he adds a card to his hand and shuffles his deck. Now, player B wishes to activate his "Drastic Drop Off" that was set last turn after "Pot of Duality" fully resolves. Would player B be able to activate "Drastic Drop Off", or would he be missing the timing because the last action to occur was the player shuffling his deck (even though you are required to shuffle your deck after any search)?

Pot of Duality:

Reveal the top 3 cards of your Deck, add 1 of them to your hand, then shuffle the rest back into your Deck. You can only activate 1 "Pot of Duality" per turn. You cannot Special Summon a monster(s) during the turn you activate this card.

Drastic Drop Off:

Activate only when your opponent adds a card(s) from their Deck to their hand, including drawing a card(s). Your opponent discards 1 of those cards.
    Atem
    Atem

Male Posts : 114
    Speed Credits : 1156

Drastic Drop Off VS Pot of Duality Empty Re: Drastic Drop Off VS Pot of Duality

Post by Atem Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:05 pm

In my opinion:
    You can't activate Drastic Drop Off in response to Pot of Duality, because it will miss the timing of activation, since PoD states that you must shuffle the remaining cards in your deck as a part of resolution.

You should give us a link to the thread at Pojo to see why they give favored DDO, even though i don't agree.

However to further prove my point here's a ruling:
    Drastic Drop off wrote:If your opponent discards card(s) after drawing or adding card(s) to their hand as part of the same effect resolution, you cannot activate "Drastic Drop Off". For example, when your opponent resolves "Graceful Charity", you cannot activate "Drastic Drop Off".
    PoD is the same Graceful Charity when it comes to the part where Graceful Charity discards. It's all part of resolution.
    JUSTIN BAILEY
    JUSTIN BAILEY

Post by JUSTIN BAILEY Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:22 pm

Atem wrote:In my opinion:
    You can't activate Drastic Drop Off in response to Pot of Duality, because it will miss the timing of activation, since PoD states that you must shuffle the remaining cards in your deck as a part of resolution.

You should give us a link to the thread at Pojo to see why they give favored DDO, even though i don't agree.

However to further prove my point here's a ruling:
    Drastic Drop off wrote:If your opponent discards card(s) after drawing or adding card(s) to their hand as part of the same effect resolution, you cannot activate "Drastic Drop Off". For example, when your opponent resolves "Graceful Charity", you cannot activate "Drastic Drop Off".
    PoD is the same Graceful Charity when it comes to the part where Graceful Charity discards. It's all part of resolution.

Here was the thread from pojo:

http://www.pojo.biz/board/showthread.php?t=867424

I was thinking the same thing, but the people at pojo brought up the argument that you shuffle your deck every time you search through it (I.E. Reinforcement of the army, etc.) but you can still use DDO against that because it's not a gamestate action to shuffle your deck in those instances. Personally, I agree with what you say, because the card specifically states that you shuffle your deck after choosing to add a card, which would make it a gamestate action, even though there aren't any other cards that do so.
    vem123
    vem123

Male Posts : 415
    Speed Credits : 6014

Post by vem123 Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:23 pm

Shuffling the deck is a part of POD's effect resolution, unlike other cards that search your deck Wink . That's why the following happens

Player A activates Pot of Duality, reveals the top 3 cards of his deck and adds one to his hand
    < < Player B wants to activate Drastic Drop Off but he can't interrupt the resolution of Pot of Duality > >
    PLayer A shuffles the tw remaining cards into the deck.
    Player B missed the timing to activate Drastic Drop Off

~Smile

Last edited by vem123 on Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Trouble with << and >>)
    Atem
    Atem

Male Posts : 114
    Speed Credits : 1156

Post by Atem Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:30 pm

They seem to be putting an argument over ROTA or Sangan, but let's take a look at their effects:
    Reinforcements of the Army wrote:Add 1 Level 4 or lower Warrior-Type monster from your Deck to your hand.
    Sangan wrote:When this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard, add 1 monster with 1500 or less ATK from your Deck to your hand.
    We can clearly see that these cards don't have the shuffling your deck part of their resolution. It is rather a game mechanic in these cases.

Now let's take a look at Pot of Duality.
    Pot of Duality wrote:Reveal the top 3 cards of your Deck, add 1 of them to your hand, then shuffle the rest back into your Deck. You can only activate 1 "Pot of Duality" per turn. You cannot Special Summon a monster(s) during the turn you activate this card.
    We can see that shuffling is a part of the resolution.
    However if someone disagrees and thinks shuffling is just a game mechanic even in this case and that DDO can be activated i have bolded out that part.
    The last thing that happens when POD activates (without counting the shuffling) isn't adding a card in your hand, but returning the remaining cards you picked face-down in your deck.

Conclusion:
    You can't activate DDO in response to cards that specifically state shuffling as a part of their effect.
    You can only activate it against cards that don't state it as their effect, because it is a game mechanic.
    JUSTIN BAILEY
    JUSTIN BAILEY

Post by JUSTIN BAILEY Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:20 pm

Atem wrote:They seem to be putting an argument over ROTA or Sangan, but let's take a look at their effects:
    Reinforcements of the Army wrote:Add 1 Level 4 or lower Warrior-Type monster from your Deck to your hand.
    Sangan wrote:When this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard, add 1 monster with 1500 or less ATK from your Deck to your hand.
    We can clearly see that these cards don't have the shuffling your deck part of their resolution. It is rather a game mechanic in these cases.

Now let's take a look at Pot of Duality.
    Pot of Duality wrote:Reveal the top 3 cards of your Deck, add 1 of them to your hand, then shuffle the rest back into your Deck. You can only activate 1 "Pot of Duality" per turn. You cannot Special Summon a monster(s) during the turn you activate this card.
    We can see that shuffling is a part of the resolution.
    However if someone disagrees and thinks shuffling is just a game mechanic even in this case and that DDO can be activated i have bolded out that part.
    The last thing that happens when POD activates (without counting the shuffling) isn't adding a card in your hand, but returning the remaining cards you picked face-down in your deck.

Conclusion:
    You can't activate DDO in response to cards that specifically state shuffling as a part of their effect.
    You can only activate it against cards that don't state it as their effect, because it is a game mechanic.

Ok, thank you for clearing that up. Smile
    The Detonator
    The Detonator

Male Posts : 1147
    Speed Credits : 850

Post by The Detonator Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:51 am

Questioned answered correctly.

Pot of Duality incorporates the shuffling mechanic as, instead, an effect in combination of adding cards back to your Deck. This causes Drastic Drop Off to miss the timing.

~Locked.

--The Detonator--

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 1:22 pm