Turbo Duel Academy

Welcome to our academy, this academy offers what you'll see in other academies, and MANY things that you won't see anywhere else. Come and join the fun.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Turbo Duel Academy

Welcome to our academy, this academy offers what you'll see in other academies, and MANY things that you won't see anywhere else. Come and join the fun.

Turbo Duel Academy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Are you new?Post an Intro!
Portal updated on: October 5th, 2010
TDA's Bounty Hunter's Lounge: Week 13 Bounties!

+4
Aludra
OptimusYale
Janembo
DanceJonDance
8 posters

How to become popular in TDA or any forum.

DanceJonDance
    DanceJonDance

Male Posts : 1160
    Speed Credits : 3876

How to become popular in TDA or any forum. Empty How to become popular in TDA or any forum.

Post by DanceJonDance Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:37 am

I wrote an article before about why people decide to leave academies and then make new ones on their own, and one of the reasons that did not come to mind until just recently was lack of popularity. People wish to be popular in forums, and when they can't achieve popularity they go off on their own to make new random forums with even more random names because they know whoever joins their forum will HAVE to know them since they are the owner. Some people are too lazy to start a forum of their own, but they decide to join a forum that has just been created in order to get popularity. Since the forum is new and it has a low population of members it's easy to get noticed, and the desperate administration will be in such a desperate position that they will take any active person on their staff. This was the case when I left Light Duel Academy to join Toon World Academy; they were so desperate for staff that the moment they saw I was active they made me a moderator, and I was happy. This is the case of many people who leave the big popular academies for smaller ones; they only do it for popularity.

So being the nice popular guy I tend to become in different forums when I set my mind to it I decided to post a little set of rules on how to become forum famous.

Rule Number One: Be active, but don't spam!

There is nothing better than active members who get involved in the community, but let's face it when you first register for a forum and you start posting around your posts tend to get ignored. Your most popular topic will often be your introduction and that's because everyone has the all too common thing to say which is welcome... yadayada; boring. What can you do to get noticed? Well first impressions are everlasting so when you first post an introduction make it original or tell people about yourself; nobody wants to hear "Um hi I'm new here, hope to duel you all."
    Once you get your introduction out of the way you can begin searching around the forum for posts that interest you such as music, movies, etc. You'll often find these topics in the off-topic section of forums, and that's where your rise to fame should start because to be honest when someone has a topic going on about a tournament, a war, or something that has to do with members who have been around for a while and suddenly some guy with three posts gives his opinion you tend to think "Wth? Why are you talking to me? Who are you again? >_>"
    Make sure to get involved in things that you actually know what you are talking about because topics that have to do with opinions on matters of the forum itself might cause you to get hated on and you don't want that early on. Also, make sure to not spam because that is the most irritating thing you can do while foruming. If you have a conversation with someone on a topic that goes back and forth that has absolutely nothing to do with an actual topic other than posting for the sake of talking about your day or personal stuff you can be certain that you will get hated on all this leads me to the next rule.

Rule Number Two: Build a solid, but legit post count.

When someone with one or two posts says something you tend to think things like "Oh this guy/girl is just gonna be here for a bit then leave so who cares about him/her." It's sad, but it's true; people don't like noobs. When you have a solid post count people will take you more seriously because they see that you have tried to get involved with people in the past and you are actually posting because you care about the topic and not because you're trying to get your post count even higher because your post count should already be solid. However your post count has to be legit and what this means is that you can't have 50 posts with 4 of them being your introduction and welcomes to members who have just registered, and 46 of them being an answer to a posting game. When people see you constantly participating in posting games they will associate your name with "the guy who spams the posting games section" and having fifty to one-hundred posts won't mean anything if you're the person who got his post count high by getting easy posts because it will be the same as having three posts.

Rule Number Three: If you're in a yugioh based forum.. don't just duel!

I know a lot of people join forums to participate in tournaments and have opponents that are not noobs and there's nothing wrong with that, however, there will be a time when these types of people try to get involved in the forum. They've been registered for almost four months and have a pretty solid post count but nobody knows who the hell they are. When this happens people will think of you as someone who was active once, left, and then came back. You don't want to be that person because people who are active in forums tend to be loyal to that forum and if they think you are an outsider who is a part of another forum they might feel hostile towards you or simply disregard you like the other people with low post counts. If you want to catch people's attention in yugioh based forums make sure that you don't just post in arenas and tournaments. Make sure to get involved in other topics to get your name out there.

Rule Number Four: If there is nothing to talk about make something to talk about.

Eventually topics that are already started and have a lot of posts will die down, and this is when your chance to shine starts. Make new topics! There is nothing that will boost your popularity more than starting topics that people get interested in, however, notice how I said interested. If you start topics that are stupid it will make your popularity go down because nobody will want to post in your topics and you'll just be the guy who talks about stupid stuff. Make sure to create topics that will get people talking, and in order to do this you have to make sure these topics are about stuff people are interested in so study people's posts and see what they like to talk about, etc. before making a new topic.

Rule Number Five: Help others

This will also give you plus points when building a reputation in a forum because people will go to you when they need help. Whether it be with an opinion like rating someone's GFX or help with a tough ruling question. If you are helpful to others then they will be grateful and the veterans of the forum will give you props for stepping up as a leader.

Rule Number Six: Have a personality

This is probably one of the most important rules of all and it's because people like interacting with people and not walls of text. How do you get a personality? Simple start off with displaying what your interests are in your avatar/signature. If someone sees you have an avatar/signature of OptimusPrime you will get liked by people who are fans of Transformers, and the same can be said for any other type of show/band/interest. Next when you post something make sure to do it in a friendly way, and not talk with big or unharnesses words. For example if you talk like this "I do not believe that you can special summon during your draw phase, thus you are wrong." you're gonna sound like an idiot because nobody talks like that in real life except... well idiots who think highly of themselves because they use fancy words. Now, there is nothing wrong with people who use fancy words or have a large vocabulary, but there are places where you uses these types of words and forums are not one of them. If you talk like you normally would in addition to being friendly and throwing in a happy face or two somewhere then you'll come off as a guy with a distinct personality which will make people feel like they are talking to a friend rather than some old douche bag professor who feels the need to throw big words at you for no good reason.

Hopefully these rules help you guys try to become popular in big academies and not go off to random academies to keep these noob academies from spreading like a virus D: Do you have any rules of your own? If so post them here x]
    Janembo
    Janembo

Male Posts : 294
    Speed Credits : 2900

How to become popular in TDA or any forum. Empty Re: How to become popular in TDA or any forum.

Post by Janembo Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:44 am

It took me while to read it...I can think how much it took to writte them.
    But for last 1...you could just writte be your self.Thats what I do actionaly.
    My rulles:
    Don't be anusence.
    Try to help.
    Be active as posible.
    If some 1 is pissing me off....just don't talk with him
    OptimusYale
    OptimusYale

Male Posts : 453
    Speed Credits : 2825

How to become popular in TDA or any forum. Empty Re: How to become popular in TDA or any forum.

Post by OptimusYale Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:03 am

Hah I pretty much followed this without realising Smile

It's easy to become popular as long as the people who are in the academy with you share something in common!
    Aludra
    Aludra

Female Posts : 356
    Speed Credits : 3991

Post by Aludra Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:21 pm

Nice article there,,
    another suggestion from me,, is
    "Have fun!!" ^^
    I always to try to make it fun anywhere Smile
    Gothicmess
    Gothicmess

Male Posts : 341
    Speed Credits : 1376

Post by Gothicmess Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:53 pm

As you can see this is all common sense and maturity, get you get to a certain sate of mind in your life, doesn't matter if you 13-25 years old, this will be your state of mind, courtesy, awareness and common sense.

With exceptions for 3 and 4, which really should be implied if don't have a superiority complex o.-
    Lunchbox
    Lunchbox

Male Posts : 220
    Speed Credits : 2096

Post by Lunchbox Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:27 pm

Excellent read DJD. Very good help.

- Lunchbox
    WilBer
    WilBer

Female Posts : 508
    Speed Credits : 1616

Post by WilBer Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:27 pm

Hmm somehow this tips nvr work with me i do everything listed above but still i nvr got famous -.-
    yuesi
    yuesi

Male Posts : 16
    Speed Credits : 106

Post by yuesi Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:10 pm

nice DJD a great artical

but u frogot 1 give respect u earn respect Razz that got me a load of friends in kc i resect otheres others respect me Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content