Turbo Duel Academy

Welcome to our academy, this academy offers what you'll see in other academies, and MANY things that you won't see anywhere else. Come and join the fun.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Turbo Duel Academy

Welcome to our academy, this academy offers what you'll see in other academies, and MANY things that you won't see anywhere else. Come and join the fun.

Turbo Duel Academy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Are you new?Post an Intro!
Portal updated on: October 5th, 2010
TDA's Bounty Hunter's Lounge: Week 13 Bounties!

+7
Aludra
the jancok
Georgenal
flaker
Gothicmess
najex
The Detonator
11 posters

Missing the Timing (Expert Gameplay)

The Detonator
    The Detonator

Male Posts : 1147
    Speed Credits : 850

Missing - Missing the Timing (Expert Gameplay) Empty Missing the Timing (Expert Gameplay)

Post by The Detonator Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:36 am

NOTE: Missing the Timing is a very difficult concept to get your head around and really is only for expert gameplay.

Many duelists do not use this rule when they duel and i have played many matches where even i have let this rule slide. Nonetheless though this is a rule and part of the game mechanics and it must be learnt if you want to take your dueling skills to the next level, wether it be in real life or here online. Once again i will say: Missing the Timing is a difficult concept so don't worry if you do not fully understand what it is written here. If you want to ask any questions feel free to PM me about this or reply to this post. I will do my best to try and make this understandable.

TRIGGER EFFECTS:
    Sometimes a Trigger Effect will state that "when" a condition happens, you "can" activate its effect. In this case, you are only allowed to activate the effect when the condition being met was the last thing to happen in the game. These types of Trigger effects are called "Optional Trigger Effects" and you must choose to activate these effects yourself, they do not automatically activate.

OPTIONAL TRIGGER EFFECTS:
    It is possible to miss the timing with Optional Trigger Effects. Unlike Mandatory Trigger effects, an Optional Trigger Effect "misses the timing" if something else happens immidiantly after the effect or if something else is still resolving after the condition is being met. This is best demonstarted with an example.

For example:
    Peten the Dark Clown follows this rule in its effect text:
    Spoiler:

As you can see, you have a CHOICE (indicated by "when... you can..." text) to activate Peten the Dark Clown's effect. Your choice can only be made at the time that it is sent to Graveyard. Let's have a look:

EXAMPLE 1, CHAINS:
    Player A controls Peten the Dark Clown.
    Chain Link 1: Player A activates Fissure.
    Chain Link 2: Player B discard 1 card and activates Raigeki Break.
    --- Chain Resolves Backwards ---
    Chain Link 2: Raigeki Break resolves, Peten the Dark Clown is destroyed.
    >>You must make a choice to activate Peten's effect but you cannot interrupt the chain, resolution continues<<
    Chain Link 1: Fissure resolves and destroys 1 of Player B's monsters.

During the resolution of the above chain, Raigeki Break resolves first and destroys Peten the Dark Clown. As stated his condition has been met but he cannot interrupt the chain. Fissure resolves straight afterwards and the chain fully resolves, Peten's effect was missed and he misses the timing.

EXAMPLE 2: TRIBUTING (this also applies to Synchro Summoning, Fusion Summoning, or Ritual Summoning):
    Step 1. You tribute a Peten the Dark Clown and send it to the Graveyard for a Tribute Summon.
    >>You must make a choice to activate Peten's effect but you cannot interrupt a Summon, the Summon continues<<
    Step 2. You Normal Summon a Destiny Hero - Dasher.
    Step 3. Your opponent has a chance to activate a card in response to your Summon before you get to make a choice.
    Step 4. Destiny Hero Dasher's Summon is resolved.

Tributing a monster with an Optional Trigger Effect for a Tribute/Ritual Summon, or using them in a Synchro or Fusion Summon also prevents their effects from activating. The very last thing to happen is the summon and this causes the timing window to close immidiantly.

NOTE: This only applies to effects that state: "When...you can...".
    - It does not apply to any effects that state "If...you can..." like "Ultimate Ancient Gear Golem".
    - It does not apply to any effects that state "After...you can..." like "Voltanis the Adjudicator".
    Effects like these can never miss the timing.

Also note that Optional Trigger Effects can also be found on Spell & Trap Cards.

MANDATORY TRIGGER EFFECTS:
    On a side note let me explain why Madatory Trigger Effects never miss the timing. These effects do not have the "you can..." option in their effect texts which means the effect must activate eventually.

EXAMPLE:
    Player A controls Sangan.
    Chain Link 1: Player A activates Fissure.
    Chain Link 2: Player B discard 1 card and activates Raigeki Break.
    --- Chain Resolves Backwards ---
    Chain Link 2: Raigeki Break resolves, Sangan is destroyed.
    >>Sangan's effect needs to activate, but the chain is still resolving<<
    Chain Link 1: Fissure resolves and destroys 1 of Player B's monsters.

During the resolution of the above chain, Sangan's condition has been met but as we know can't interrupt the chain. When the chain is completed however, because Sangan's effect is Mandatory, it activates and starts a new chain as Chain Link 1.

--The Detonator--

EDIT:
    I have decided to start compiling a list of cards that miss the timing to help you identify them. Take note of the way their effect are written:

Spoiler:

Last edited by The Detonator on Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:24 pm; edited 7 times in total
    najex
    najex

Male Posts : 46
    Speed Credits : 393

Missing - Missing the Timing (Expert Gameplay) Empty Re: Missing the Timing (Expert Gameplay)

Post by najex Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:25 pm

add poison draw frog to the list

many new players (I once did this to) think you can send a poison draw frog to the graveyard, draw 1 card and summon a new poison draw frog and than do it over again
    Gothicmess
    Gothicmess

Male Posts : 341
    Speed Credits : 1376

Missing - Missing the Timing (Expert Gameplay) Empty Re: Missing the Timing (Expert Gameplay)

Post by Gothicmess Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:22 pm

I did this to the first match I used it, after that even I decided to search for every one of My card rulings as possible to make sure I didn't happen again.

Also, missing the timing doesn't mean that you cant chain an optional trigger effect, just think about 2 Mystic tomato vs Mystic tomato, since both are send to the grave at the same time, both trigger effects are activated and both effects resolve, since the last thing happening was "being send to the graveyard", neither of these miss the timing at that time.

EDIT: My bad :]

Last edited by Gothicmess on Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
    The Detonator
    The Detonator

Post by The Detonator Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:33 pm

@Gothicmess
    i have already posted how similaneous effects that go on a chain work like the example you posted in another tutorial.

https://turboduelacademy.forumotion.com/question-room-f1/spell-speeds-advanced-gameplay-t1447.htm#9847

--The Detonator--
    flaker
    flaker

Male Posts : 62
    Speed Credits : 600

Post by flaker Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:49 am

And what happends with mandatory trigger effects?
    Gothicmess
    Gothicmess

Post by Gothicmess Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:03 am

Example:

If you tribute Sangan with Substitoad's effect to bring another frog, sangan will start a chain in the graveyard and resolve before the frog is placed on the field.

In other words, you'll resolve Sangan's effect before summoning another Frog
    The Detonator
    The Detonator

Post by The Detonator Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:36 am

Like Gothicmess said,
    Mandatory Trigger Effects activate and are immidiantly placed on the chain.

Lets use Gothics example for a mandatory trigger effect and an optional trigger effect to show where missing the timing comes into play.

Mandatory Trigger Effect Example:
    Sangan is tributed by Substitoad.
    Chain Link 1: Substitoad's Effect activates.
    Chain Link 2: Sangan's Effect activates.
    -------Chain resolves backwards-------
    Chain Link 2: Sangan's effect resolves and a monster with 1500 ATK or less is added to the players hand.
    Chain Link 1: Substitoad's effect resolves. A "Frog" monster is Special Summoned to the field.

Optional Trigger Effect Example:
    Peten the Dark Clown is tributed by Substitoad.
    Chain Link 1: Substitoad's effect activates.
    Chain Link 1: Substitoad's effect resolves.
    Note: Peten the Dark Clown tries to activate and resolve, but a choice is required to be made in order for this card to sucessfully resolve, since another card is trying to resolve gameplay will skip your option to resolve it and lets Substitoad resolve immidiantly.

--The Detonator--
    Georgenal
    Georgenal

Male Posts : 19
    Speed Credits : 141

Post by Georgenal Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:19 pm

Another Example is ->
    Heart Of the Underdog missing the Timing: Suppose you have 3 copies of Heart of the Underdog on the field, and draw a Normal Monster Card during your Draw Phase. All 3 copies of "Heart of the Underdog" immediately activate their effects, and because they activate simultaneously, they form a chain with Chain Links 1, 2, and 3. If you draw a Normal Monster Card for Chain Link 3 or Chain Link 2, your copies of "Heart of the Underdog" do not activate again. This is because they are "when... you can" optional Trigger Effects, and you "miss the timing" because you drew the Normal Monster Card during a chain and not as Chain Link 1. If you draw a Normal Monster Card for Chain Link 1, all 3 copies of Heart of the Underdog will make their effect's activation again.
    the jancok
    the jancok

Male Posts : 657
    Speed Credits : 6016
    GMT : +7

Post by the jancok Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:07 am

How about i activate "hand destruction" since i send broww dark world. I think "send" and "discard" it's different.Also i'm still confuse if i use spell to send my monster from my hand to the graveyard such "cross poter" and "white stone of the legend", then will be you getting eff?.
    The Detonator
    The Detonator

Post by The Detonator Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:20 am

Hand Destruction does not discard like you said. Hand Destruction only sends cards to the Graveyard and this is different to discarding. Dark World monster effects will not activate in this case.

In regard to Cross Porter, if you send him to the Graveyard by using Hand Destruction it will miss the Timing this is because the last thing on the field to resolve is you drawing 2 cards from your Deck, not cross porters effect. It will look like this.

Player A activates Hand Destruction, both players send 2 cards from their hand to the Graveyard. (Cross Porter is 1 of them).
    ----- Cross Porter should now activate because you need to make a choice, but Hand Destruction still needs to resolve, because Hand Destruction has NOT resolved fully Cross Porter misses the Timing-----
    Hand Destruction resolves and both players Draw 2 cards.

As for The White Stone of Legend, its effect does not follow the Missing the Timing rule of "when... you can..." its effect is mandatory (it must happen) and so it can never miss the timing and will activate starting a new chain after Hand Destruction fully resolves.

Look at the two effects, it should help clarify what you need to look for for missing the timing:

Effect of Cross Porter:
    Spoiler:

Effect of White Stone of Legend:
    Spoiler:

--The Detonator--
    the jancok
    the jancok

Male Posts : 657
    Speed Credits : 6016
    GMT : +7

Post by the jancok Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:40 am

O.O mmk, thx for clear all Razz. I'm understood now^^
    Spoiler:
    The Detonator
    The Detonator

Post by The Detonator Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:50 am

No your not spamming at all Smile
    It's better you tell me if you understand or not so i can explain it in more detail if need be.

--The Detonator--
    Aludra
    Aludra

Female Posts : 356
    Speed Credits : 3991

Post by Aludra Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:30 am

Hmm, yes the most complicated ruling is about "missing the chance"
    I can't understand this ruling >.<

I want to ask, If my opp activate mystical space typhoon and target my Limit reverse or call of the haunted and I summon sangan or summon Yubel,,
    does these monsters eff still resolve??

and how about cards that eff active when summoned like monarch and Mist wurm,, who destroyed by bottomless trap hole,

and a card like judgement dragon, I played in DS, I can activate his eff before being targetted by bottomless,
    I am very confused here,
    DanceJonDance
    DanceJonDance

Male Posts : 1160
    Speed Credits : 3876

Post by DanceJonDance Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:01 am

@Aludra
    When MST is activated you have a chance to chain call of the haunted or limit reverse to bring back whatever. In the case of sangan when you chain call of the haunted its effect activates bringing it back, but MST resolves by destroying your call of the haunted and when call is destroyed your sangan is sent to the grave.

Sangan's effect:
    When this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard, add 1 monster with 1500 or less ATK from your Deck to your hand.

Like det said monsters that say "you can" etc can miss the timing, but monsters such as sangan or dandylion say "when this card (condition), add 1 monster" so sangan can't miss the timing.

Effects like caius or mist wurm state:
    When this card is tribute/synchro summoned, remove from play/return up to three

Which means that when a monarch is summoned and it's chained by bottomless trap hole. The monarch will be removed from play, and then its effect will resolve normally because a monarch does not have to be on the field for its effect to resolve so it doesn't miss the timing.

Your question about JD has to deal with priority. Det wrote a great tutorial on this and you can find it here:

https://turboduelacademy.forumotion.com/question-room-f1/priority-advanced-gameplay-t661.htm
    Aludra
    Aludra

Female Posts : 356
    Speed Credits : 3991

Post by Aludra Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:01 am

Thx I understand now,
    so I missed Yubel's eff when I'm playing in DS is because of this,, >.<
    golash
    golash

Male Posts : 66
    Speed Credits : 865

Post by golash Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:35 pm

hmm...I have question...I have on field face up''gyroid'' my opponent attack my gyroid can I active 3 supercharge on that one attack??
    The Detonator
    The Detonator

Post by The Detonator Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:23 am

Supercharge has nothing to do with Missing the Timing, yes you may activate 3 of them.

--The Detonator--
    lokyed
    lokyed

Male Posts : 5
    Speed Credits : 0

Post by lokyed Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:01 am

I have a quetion to:

Player A: have a face down monster and one trap face down
    Player B: play 2 black whirldwind and summon sirocco the dawn
    Player A: play dust tornado to destroy one whirldwind and then set a card

Missing the Timing the another black whirlwind? or whats happens
    Gothicmess
    Gothicmess

Post by Gothicmess Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:09 am

Since BWhirlwind was already activated, Dust tornado will not negate the effect even if you set a card after it since it's all part of the effect.

So Black whirlwind will resolve normally.
    The Detonator
    The Detonator

Post by The Detonator Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:34 am

Both Black Whirlwinds will trigger at the same time before you can respond with Dust Tornado. They will not miss the timing since the last thing to happen is the summon of Sucessful Normal Summon of Sirocco. It will work like this.

Player 1 Summons Sirocco the Dawn
    -Both Black Whirlwinds trigger at the same time. Player A is allowed to build the chain as he/she wishes.
    Chain Link 1: Black Whirlwind
    Chain Link 2: Black Whirlwind.
    - Priority is passed to Player 2.
    Chain Link 3: Dust Tornado.
    ---Chain resolves backwards---
    Chain Link 3: Dusto TOrnado destroys 1 Black Whirlwind.
    Chain Link 2: Black Whirlwind checks the field, then Player 1 adds a Blackwing monster to his/her hand.
    Chain Link 1: Black Whirlwind checks the field, then Player 1 adds a Blackwing monster to his/her hand.

Missing the timing does not happen during the resolution of effects only at activation if the activation is happening in the middle of a resolving chain or isnt the last thing to happen on the field, it will miss the timing. Priority doesnt get passed to your opponent to activate dust tornado until you make a choice for both Black Whirlwinds since you have priority to do so.

--The Detonator---
    lokyed
    lokyed

Post by lokyed Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:49 am

First thanks for answer me, but im more confused, because the card says:

WHEN a "Blackwing" monster is Normal Summoned to your side of the Field,YOU CAN add 1 "Blackwing" monster from your Deck to your hand that has less ATK than that monster.

So its a optional trigger effect

Black whirldwind optional trigger effect will miss the timing if Dust Tornado's secondary part is resolved (setting a card after destroying the target), as the last event to occur is a card being set, not add 1 "Blackwing" monster from your Deck to your hand

Now this is my new question xD
    ALucard
    ALucard

Male Posts : 133
    Speed Credits : 11

Post by ALucard Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:39 am

Hey det can you make another article with these "priorities" thing? I really want to read it.

About this one is really awesome. Too bad I'm a pro at these things xP since I started to use Geartown I informed a lot.
    The Detonator
    The Detonator

Post by The Detonator Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:47 am

lokyed wrote:First thanks for answer me, but im more confused, because the card says:

WHEN a "Blackwing" monster is Normal Summoned to your side of the Field,YOU CAN add 1 "Blackwing" monster from your Deck to your hand that has less ATK than that monster.

So its a optional trigger effect

Black whirldwind optional trigger effect will miss the timing if Dust Tornado's secondary part is resolved (setting a card after destroying the target), as the last event to occur is a card being set, not add 1 "Blackwing" monster from your Deck to your hand

Now this is my new question xD

Missing the Timing happens only at the activation of an optional trigger effect. If the Optional Trigger effect has already been activated and has been placed on the chain it can no longer miss the timing. (Missing the timing only refers to activating an optional trigger effect, not resolving it). The effect that lets you set a trap happens when Dust Tornado is resolving, after both Black Whirlwind's have sucessfully been placed on the chain.

--The Detonator--
    lokyed
    lokyed

Post by lokyed Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:57 am

Cool thanks

Missing the timing only refers to activating an optional trigger effect, not resolving it
    The Detonator
    The Detonator

Post by The Detonator Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:03 am

Correct Very Happy

Glad i can help

btw ALucard there is a short priority article also in the question room.

--The Detonator--

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 pm