Turbo Duel Academy

Welcome to our academy, this academy offers what you'll see in other academies, and MANY things that you won't see anywhere else. Come and join the fun.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Turbo Duel Academy

Welcome to our academy, this academy offers what you'll see in other academies, and MANY things that you won't see anywhere else. Come and join the fun.

Turbo Duel Academy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Are you new?Post an Intro!
Portal updated on: October 5th, 2010
TDA's Bounty Hunter's Lounge: Week 13 Bounties!

+4
OptimusYale
joco4
Supreme_King
DanceJonDance
8 posters

Blackwing Disappointment

DanceJonDance
    DanceJonDance

Male Posts : 1160
    Speed Credits : 3876

Blackwing Disappointment Empty Blackwing Disappointment

Post by DanceJonDance Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:42 am

If you're a fan of the trading card game outside of KCVDS then you will know the top three decks being used in every major tournament, and local tournaments are Blackwings, Lightsworns, and Zombies.

For a while now Lightsworns have been the better decks in most tournaments, being followed by zombies, and then Blackwings. Blackwings are still very strong, but they don't seem to be getting too much support anymore. The reason Blackwings were so strong when they first started out was the fact that Blackwing - Gale the Whirlwind single handedly won duels.
    Spoiler:
    With Gale gone, blackwings have to rely on Blackwing - Vayu the Emblem of Honor to make up for the crazy special summoning power Gale had, Vayu is just a little bit slower.
    Spoiler:
    As a Blackwing user for a while now I've been pretty disappointed with some of the stuff Konami has done to this archtype and making it pale in comparison to Lightsworns. The most obvious thing is the limiting of Gale. I've said it many times before, Gale is hands down the best tuner in the game and being able to run three and special summon them at will was pretty much gg. I can understand why it would be limited, but what I can't understand is if a monster like Gale is limited why aren't cards like Honest and Judgment Dragon limited.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    This would obviously be a huge blow to lightsworns, as limiting Gale was a huge blow to Blackwings, but Konami decided to leave Lightsworns untouched and it's the main reason for why they are the top deck in the TCG right now.

Once Gale was limited Blackwings were probably not going to be as good as they were before, but the Blackwing trump card would surely continue to win duels. You're probably thinking Blackwing Armor Master, but in fact that's not the Blackwing Trump card, at least not anymore. The blackwing trump card used to be Dark Strike Fighter which is now forbidden.
    Spoiler:
    Blackwings and Dark Strike Fighter were a match made in yugioh heaven. Blackwings would swarm like crazy (especially with vayu and gale in the OCG) and Dark Strike Fighter would OTK Lightsworns, Zombies, Glad Beasts.. pretty much anything that stood in their way, but with DSF forbidden.. well Blackwings dropped another step down.

Another thing that Konami has screwed up on is Blackwing - Elphin the Raven.
    Spoiler:
    This by far has to be the worst blackwing in the game. It's level six, and you can normal summon it if you have another blackwing on the field. When it's normal summoned you can change the battle position of one of your opponent's monsters. This card is not bad really, but you will notice no serious blackwing user runs any elphins, and with good reason. The problem I have with Elphin the Raven is not its effect, if a card sucks then you just simply don't use it and you move on. The problem with Elphin is its rarity. This card has three rarities: Ultra Rare(Raging Battle), Ultimate Rare(Raging Battle), and Secret Rare (Crow Collector's Tin). Cards like Gale are only rare, and gale is in my opinion the best blackwing, but she didn't get holofoil status. I think Blizzard the far north would be a better choice than Elphin the Raven. Hell even Kalut the Moon Shadow makes a better addition to a blackwing deck than Elphin, and can you imagine a shiny kalut or gale? *__* and why make elphin a tin card? It's already a foil, and certainly not hard to get so why not make something a little more useful a foil to shine up our blackwing decks T_T

I could live with all of the above, as I have been. The blackwing disappointment doesn't come from what I wrote above, but from what's coming up..
    Spoiler:
    When I heard of the new pack called The Shining Darkness which featured 'Crow's new trump card' the Black Feather Dragon, and more Blackwing support I nearly cried tears of joy. No not really >_> but anyway I figured Blackwings were finally going to get some overpowered stuff like Judgment Dragon is for Lightsworns or Brionac is for Zombies.
    Spoiler:

To no surprise though Konami added the crappiest blackwing cards to the so called blackwing set. For starters the cover card Black Feather Dragon is not exactly a blackwing so it won't work with blackwing support cards such as raptor wing strike, etc.
    Spoiler:
    Not that it really matters because no serious blackwing user uses such cards. So blackfeather dragon is not a blackwing, and you can only hope that it has some kind of overpowered effect like Stardust Dragon, or Blackrose Dragon, but no. Its effect is as follows:

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters.
    When you would receive damage from a card effect, place 1 Black Feather Counter on this card instead. This card loses 700 ATK for each Black Feather Counter on it. Once per turn, you can remove all Black Feather Counters from this card to have 1 face-up monster your opponent controls lose 700 ATK for each counter removed, and inflict the same amount of damage to your opponent.

All i have to say is: WTF!
    This is obviously a burn monster. Blackwings are nowhere near a burn archtype with dark strike fighter gone, and this monster will only burn your opponent if your opponent is using burn cards. I guess it's a good card to keep around in case you duel someone with a burn deck, but how useful will this effect be against burn? Not very useful. A burn deck focuses on stalling with weaker monsters, so if you remove a counter or whatever from BFD you won't be burning your opponent too much. Will this card work with vayu? No. Will this card be used as a beater? with 2800 ATK you're better off synchro summoning Red Dragon Archfiend. Does this card suck? YES

There aren't even any worthwhile cards in the set (at least from what is known at this moment) to even mention. All the blackwing support cards are common, and they are pretty useless. Only card that seems slightly useful is Blackwing - Breeze the Gentle Wind.
    Spoiler:
    A level three tuner with the following effect:
    If this card is added from the Deck to your hand by a Spell, Trap, or Effect Monster's effect, you can Special Summon this card. This card cannot be used to Synchro Summon a Synchro Monster except a "Blackwing" monster.
    This card is like a cheap replica of gale, and it will only work gale style if you get it with black whirlwind. However, you can only synchro summon for a blackwing monster which does NOT include black feather dragon -_-

There is only one rare card in the set as of right now called Blackwing - Gust the Adverse Wind
    Spoiler:
    with this effect:
    If you control no cards, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. While you control this card, when a "Blackwing" monster you control battles an opponent's monster, the opponent's monster loses 300 ATK until the end of the Damage Step.
    This card is actually not that bad, but I just wouldn't be able to find it any place in my blackwing deck. Its defense is mediocre so it makes its cyber dragon-like effect kind of useless. It will guard your blackwing monsters from stronger monsters so your opponent will be looking to take it out first so I guess it can buy some time, but blackwings are fast so time should be the least of your worries if you're running a good blackwing deck.

Finally the last card I was really looking forward to is Blackwing's Treasure.
    Spoiler:

In the anime this card is like the Destiny Draw of Blackwings. You discard 1 blackwing to draw two cards. If in fact that was its effect this card would speed blackwing decks to godly status. However Konami changed its effect to
    Activate by removing from play 1 "Blackwing" monster in your hand. Draw 2 cards. During the turn you activated this card, you cannot Special Summon any monsters. You can only activate 1 "Blackwing Treasure" per turn.

This was the last thing I had my hopes on, but this is obviously a horrible attempt at allure of darkness and is pretty much worthless. I'm pretty much disappointed in everything Konami's been doing to keep Blackwings down, and Lightsworns up. I guess it's not all bad though, as long as Konami doesn't touch Black Whirlwind in the ban list I probably won't be selling my blackwing deck any time soon. But it's definitely not getting any better, and other decks are going on godly status (brionac -_-)

So are there any things Konami has done to piss you off lately? Let me know with a reply x]

Last edited by DanceJonDance on Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
    Supreme_King
    Supreme_King

Male Posts : 618
    Speed Credits : 4320

Blackwing Disappointment Empty Re: Blackwing Disappointment

Post by Supreme_King Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:25 am

Are you kidding me? Man, I still remember when we talked about BW Treasure, we both agreed it was an awesome card, the DDraw for BW's, it would have been awesome in that shape. Now? Now it's like running Light Imprisoning Mirror in a LS deck. This card SUCKS!

~~~Supreme_King~~~
    joco4
    joco4

Male Posts : 92
    Speed Credits : 1541

Post by joco4 Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:11 am

You forgot one new Blackwing card:
    Blackwing - Ghibli the Hot Wind Blackwing Disappointment Blackwing-GhiblitheHotWindTSHD-JP
    When your opponent declares a Direct attack, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. Once per turn, you can switch this card's original ATK and DEF until the End Phase.
    But this card sucks too. Only 1600 DEF o.o.

LS overpowered.... They should limit JD if they limited Gale. I hope they will do this in the next ban list....

ˇˇYeah, but I like this card's art. xD

Last edited by joco4 on Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
    DanceJonDance
    DanceJonDance

Post by DanceJonDance Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:30 am

DanceJonDance wrote:

There aren't even any worthwhile cards in the set (at least from what is known at this moment) to even mention. All the blackwing support cards are common, and they are pretty useless.

@Joco
    The one you mentioned is one of the cards that wasn't worth mentioning.
    OptimusYale
    OptimusYale

Male Posts : 453
    Speed Credits : 2825

Post by OptimusYale Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:48 am

I'll admit lightsworns are broken as,but from a commercial point it would have been much more worthwhile for Konaami to release something to equal or match lightsworns, purely because people will be more willing to purchase cards to make their new decks and also make a kind of equal balance to the game. Something which now is sorely missed. And all I can say is some of those black wings may eventualy find their way into your decks...just look at foolish burial...when that first came out people were like what a waste. Japanese yata too took a while for its popularity to soar.

So with this release...maybe gale will be semi limited meaning blackwings get something more out of this set? I'm planning my next article sometime soon...

But nice Article Razz

Also DJD...as an incentive for articles and the like offer SC's? So have a panel (probably just you) to judge the article on topic, insight and of course grammar and spelling.
    WilBer
    WilBer

Female Posts : 508
    Speed Credits : 1616

Post by WilBer Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:06 pm

BW....s

hehe yup i think so
    even they say BW is meta it cant get rid of zombies and LS
    monster eff's , support and other doesnt support BW much
    but still.....
    BW can do fast synchro summoning - if u think even u can synchro brionac in first turn ._.

one thing i disagree about ur article is about honest

honest isnt only for LS but much type of deck
    DarkDuelist
    DarkDuelist

Male Posts : 21
    Speed Credits : 51

Post by DarkDuelist Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:40 pm

That BW Treasure would have been used to for Blizzard to synchro summon like on first turn..It would have been an awesome addition but Konami had to ruin it.
    Supreme_King
    Supreme_King

Male Posts : 618
    Speed Credits : 4320

Post by Supreme_King Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:33 pm

Get used to it, Konami ruins everything we would like to have, I can't wait to see LS to take a big hit, but I've yet to see that coming Sad

~~~Supreme_King~~~
    Janembo
    Janembo

Male Posts : 294
    Speed Credits : 2900

Post by Janembo Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:15 pm

That is why still macro is always going good on compatitions it counters BW and LS very nice if they are built well.
    altho I hate BW and LS(In every tournament guys show up with these decks iv gotten bored of it-.-)I have to addmit they work nice,even now
    The Detonator
    The Detonator

Male Posts : 1147
    Speed Credits : 850

Post by The Detonator Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:25 pm

konami will ban all lightsworn cards... that is the plan...

--The Detonator--
    Janembo
    Janembo

Post by Janembo Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:07 pm

The Detonator wrote:konami will ban all lightsworn cards... that is the plan...

--The Detonator--
    Well that sucks alltho I want to see them banned:P
    The Detonator
    The Detonator

Male Posts : 1147
    Speed Credits : 850

Post by The Detonator Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:33 pm

All but ryko. I love ryko, not a bad card for his effect of being able to destroy ANYTHING. how can little thing like him pose such a threat?

As for Blackwings, Vayu, he needs to die.

--The Detonator--
    DanceJonDance
    DanceJonDance

Post by DanceJonDance Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:30 am

OptimusYale wrote:I'll admit lightsworns are broken as,but from a commercial point it would have been much more worthwhile for Konaami to release something to equal or match lightsworns, purely because people will be more willing to purchase cards to make their new decks and also make a kind of equal balance to the game. Something which now is sorely missed. And all I can say is some of those black wings may eventualy find their way into your decks...just look at foolish burial...when that first came out people were like what a waste. Japanese yata too took a while for its popularity to soar.

So with this release...maybe gale will be semi limited meaning blackwings get something more out of this set? I'm planning my next article sometime soon...

But nice Article Razz

Also DJD...as an incentive for articles and the like offer SC's? So have a panel (probably just you) to judge the article on topic, insight and of course grammar and spelling.

Sounds like a good idea. Perhaps every month I will take a look at all the articles posted, along with other judges and we'll start a new thing called article of the month. I don't think a weekly basis would work though mainly because not everyone has time to write articles once a week. Especially now that school is in session... Today was my first day @__@ I was there from 8am to 5pm. It was painful.
    OptimusYale
    OptimusYale

Post by OptimusYale Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:26 am

DanceJonDance wrote:
    Sounds like a good idea. Perhaps every month I will take a look at all the articles posted, along with other judges and we'll start a new thing called article of the month. I don't think a weekly basis would work though mainly because not everyone has time to write articles once a week. Especially now that school is in session... Today was my first day @__@ I was there from 8am to 5pm. It was painful.
    Or just give a small ammount for an initial article then award more for the contestant winners! Ouch school sucks man..so glad I'm out of the system and working for it. Teaching is awesome...no work, no study just rock up and teach. Bet you wish you were in my shoes living the easy life Razz How old are you? Just wondering cuz if you ever need help with anything (like proof reading) just send me a message and I'll be glad to help..same goes for anyone really! As long as I know what the hell your talking about (MAths is a definate nono...same as advanced science..but basic stuff is ok). I majored in English and Philosophy so if anything like that comes up holla!
    DanceJonDance
    DanceJonDance

Post by DanceJonDance Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:59 am

I'm 19 haha i'm in my fourth semester of college. I'm also majoring in English, I'm planning to get a masters in it. So far I've been doing pretty well in college, and writing is not really a problem for me, people in the academy sometimes ask me for help with their english xD so i guess it'll be nice if we have two english tutors around in the academy x]
    OptimusYale
    OptimusYale

Post by OptimusYale Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:50 am

LOL sweet. You an English literature major or an English Language Major? I did language so I studied language in use (so experiments and observations) Was interesting but stupidly difficult! I was thinking about a masters but it wouldnt really make much difference to my career path (teaching really only requires a PGCE not a masters...which I will get) plus the teaching job I have now requires just a degree....sweeet!

So this the start of your second year?
    DanceJonDance
    DanceJonDance

Post by DanceJonDance Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:10 am

Umm I'm majoring in English literature, and creative writing. The thing about getting a masters is that you spend so much time in a school working on your masters that by the time you get your masters the school will just hire you as an English professor. My goal is to be a professor at my university, I'll probably do high school once I get my Degree most likely, then move on.
    Janembo
    Janembo

Post by Janembo Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:51 am

DanceJonDance wrote:people in the academy sometimes ask me for help with their english xD
    I think I am 1 who asks 4 help:P
    OptimusYale
    OptimusYale

Post by OptimusYale Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:10 am

DanceJonDance wrote:Umm I'm majoring in English literature, and creative writing. The thing about getting a masters is that you spend so much time in a school working on your masters that by the time you get your masters the school will just hire you as an English professor. My goal is to be a professor at my university, I'll probably do high school once I get my Degree most likely, then move on.

They won't hire you as a professor. You'd be taken on as teaching staff whilst you do your Phd. To be a professor you need to be seated at the uni and be a doctor, masters basically means your a the level to start you PHd. Anyways as long as you know what you want you get it Very Happy I want to teach at college level so I can have more intelectual debates about philosophy. Once I find a way to get ahold of philosophy books out here, I'm going to start writing papers for fun and Send them around. Mite also start replying to my former lecturers papers (arguments about god..always my favourite subject.) That way if they think I'm good enough the professor will take me on as an understudy and I'll be more elligble for Phd and also I get a buddy in the faculty. If it doesnt work, I can still teach UK college philosophy (16-18) which would be awesome! I have a friend doing creative writing and english language masters in the UK...seems like fun but alot of hard work! Maybe we should open up an academy english shop where we proof read papers for high school Razz
    DarkDuelist
    DarkDuelist

Male Posts : 21
    Speed Credits : 51

Post by DarkDuelist Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:15 pm

That would be awesome cause ima need some help later on in the year with my creative writing papers
    DanceJonDance
    DanceJonDance

Post by DanceJonDance Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:53 am

A little something I wanted to add on to this article:

Do you think Konami has overpowered Lightsworn and Twilight decks? I mean they even have a special edition box called Twilight so that you can build your own Twilight deck, and contains an Ultra Rare version of Honest.
    Blackwing Disappointment 184_3695_Yu%20Gi%20Oh%20Twilight%20300
    They've also added the cards solar recharge, and charge of the light brigade as reprints in the special edition boxes of stardust overdrive and ancient prophecy... It's like they WANT people to use LS and twilight.. do you agree? Disagree? Let me know with a reply x]
    OptimusYale
    OptimusYale

Post by OptimusYale Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:12 am

It's true its sooo not cool. However Konami have a habit of doing this

Back in the early days of ygo in English and quite early on in the japanese version too they released the character themed Structure deck (different to the starter decks). These contained key cards the anime character used.(I looked at one website now selling yugi deck for $200...My friend had 2 of each back in the day...bet he's kicking himself).

Anyway the Kaiba structure deck contained 3 blue eyes, Frankensteiner (Devil Franken), megamorph and Blue eyes ultimate!

The interesting thing about these sets however was that they made the expensive cards common (something that they should do now) to promote equality in the game. Jonouchi deck contained common mirror force for example.

However it is rare to find Common versions of certain staples coming out in english because of the mickey mouse running UDE have over yugioh! I think they own several websites where singles are purchased!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:27 am