Turbo Duel Academy

Welcome to our academy, this academy offers what you'll see in other academies, and MANY things that you won't see anywhere else. Come and join the fun.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Turbo Duel Academy

Welcome to our academy, this academy offers what you'll see in other academies, and MANY things that you won't see anywhere else. Come and join the fun.

Turbo Duel Academy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Are you new?Post an Intro!
Portal updated on: October 5th, 2010
TDA's Bounty Hunter's Lounge: Week 13 Bounties!

+3
WilBer
Sil
OptimusYale
7 posters

How to break a code: Short and sweet way of making or breaking your own codes!

OptimusYale
    OptimusYale

Male Posts : 453
    Speed Credits : 2825

How to break a code: Short and sweet way of making or breaking your own codes! Empty How to break a code: Short and sweet way of making or breaking your own codes!

Post by OptimusYale Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:34 am

Coolnerdbird wrote a challenge asking people to decipher this code. So I thought I'd give it a try and found it REALLY easy! Here is the code he gave:

S6 5 s*533ed 0532 6n 0 c60*4er and 50 25nda *5ssed 6ff. 5 5sh ha 5 had been 06re caref43 b4 n6w 5 have 66 send 5 6ver 6 h*. g4ess 50 wr55ng h5s s6 ha 5 can see wha he he33 has ha**ened 6 0 c60*4er. We33 g66d 34c2 f5g4r5ng h5s 6ne 6f a 25nd *4zz3e 64 xD.

The T and Y keys are also broken, this gave me a bit of a challenge but afterall, it's two keys and once you make most the word its pretty simple to find where they go. This is how to break a code like this:

First look for single letters. In the english language there are only two letters which can stand alone...which is A and I. As A wasn't coded by coolnerbird, it meant any single letters are either words with 'T' and 'Y' (such as it) or the letter I. The thing about code breaking is that it's all trial and error. So I took the number '5' which appears on its own many times, and substituted that into the the code. This is what it looks like:

S6 I s*I33ed 0I32 6n 0 c60*4er and I0 2Inda *Issed 6ff. I Ish ha I had been 06re caref43 b4 n6w I have 66 send I 6ver 6 h*. g4ess I0 wrIIng hIs s6 ha I can see wha he he33 has ha**ened 6 0 c60*4er. We33 g66d 34c2 fIg4rIng hIs 6ne 6f a 2Ind *4zz3e 64 xD.

Success, 5=I works. There are no blatent contradictions with letter positioning or anything so we can now assume the cipher looks like this

5=I
    Everything else

So what next. Next I looked at first letter positioning of words and their relationship to other words. As some words were already completed, this made it really easy! I decided that 6=O. The main theory for this was '6ff'. Only one letter comes before 'ff' in the the english language (unless using abreviations, iff=if and only if). So using this thought I put O into the cipher. The problem was O looks like 0, which was still undecided, so intead of putting in the O's, I left them till last, but I still knew they were there!

After that I found that *issed can only really be one word. As you get a feel for a text you can understand what this meant, which was pissed. That means *=p!

Great thats another letter down.
    Our cipher is coming together,
    5=I
    6=O
    *=P

Just as a note, when you decipher something its always best to keep the new letters in capitals, that way you know what you've changed and what you haven't changed Smile

Ok I have given you a rough way of starting a deciphering method, it would be better if you finish this yourselves by just following intuition. Remember most the time only certain letters follow other letters. look at a ciphered word and go, that looks like it could be 'pissed' change other letters in the code and if it looks good it probably is! Any questions holla and I'll help you Smile
    Sil
    Sil

Male Posts : 93
    Speed Credits : 452

How to break a code: Short and sweet way of making or breaking your own codes! Empty Re: How to break a code: Short and sweet way of making or breaking your own codes!

Post by Sil Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:49 am

aslong as we dont start to cipher everthing here on forums now its fine Razz
    anyway nice article and i think everyone can understand it Wink

i like the codes more when theres no numbers and symbols in the ciphered text.
    you never know if all letters are correct. Especially interesting is it when the sentences are choosen wisely. Some ciphered text can get really hard to decipher allthough the way how it was ciphered is easy.

im remembering when i still played ragnarok, on a private server. the gm implemented a quest in which you needed to decipher the whole quest text, which ended in a riddle to where the next quest was ... gah that was annoying lol but only cuz i hated riddles ...
    it was quite fun to decipher all the stuff, cuz there were some really hard ones in it...
    WilBer
    WilBer

Female Posts : 508
    Speed Credits : 1616

How to break a code: Short and sweet way of making or breaking your own codes! Empty Re: How to break a code: Short and sweet way of making or breaking your own codes!

Post by WilBer Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:51 pm

pffff nice after reading ur tut it look like really easy -_- i hate u Razz
    OptimusYale
    OptimusYale

Post by OptimusYale Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:01 pm

hah I studied ciphers for like a week, simple enough to understand

And yeah ciphers with words meaning different things are much harder to crack than ordinary ciphers. Also any cipher using a non-roman alphabet are insanely hard to do, so made up symbals or even using Korean or japaneese symbols is insane! Here try this

내 ㅑ 쇄ㅕ홋 ㅑ 재ㅕㅣㅇ ㅡ맏 ㅁ ㅏㅐㄱㄷ무 ㅅㄷㄴㅌㅅ 쵸ㅔㅗㄷㄱ. ㅑ 쟈ㅣㅣ ㅔ개ㅠ뮤ㅣㅛ 랙ㅎㄷㅅ 좀ㅅ ㅑㅅ ㅡㄷ문 ㅠㅕㅅ ㅗ됴, ㅑ ㅊ무 랴ㅕㄱㄷ ㅑㅅ ㅐㅕㅅ ㅠㅛ 래ㅣㅣㅐ쟈ㅜㅎ 솓 뇨ㅡㅠ민 ㅐㅜ ㅡㅛ ㅏ됴ㅠㅐㅁㄱㅇ Smile
    firefsp
    firefsp

Male Posts : 207
    Speed Credits : 906

Post by firefsp Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:20 pm

is that korean letter, or another?

the system is the same, right? we change the letter to alphabet?
    Sil
    Sil

Male Posts : 93
    Speed Credits : 452

Post by Sil Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:56 pm

im wondering what OY used there lol not the language or sth... or rather... yea the language, is it english the clear text? have to ask that lol
    also this isnt a normal substitute cipher or? since you used more symbols than the roman contains. which means, the outcome isnt in roman letters either or you used more than one symbol for one letter.
    i counted all the symbols there are enough symbols to take a-z, 1-0 and ä ü ö... (since the first thing i did was regaining my eyesight and reducing the headache by putting all symbols to roman- letters lol...
    was too lazy to solve it yet... and im wondering if there are maybe letters missing on the words.. well suprise me everyone and solve it... Razz
    OptimusYale
    OptimusYale

Post by OptimusYale Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:09 am

Its roman alphabet, but typed whilst korean was active on my keyboard. So there is a way to decipher what letters are there...though this one is quite difficult Razz
    firefsp
    firefsp

Male Posts : 207
    Speed Credits : 906

Post by firefsp Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:13 am

well, i've got no idea where to start x[
    Yuri Bakura
    Yuri Bakura

Male Posts : 707
    Speed Credits : 2687

Post by Yuri Bakura Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:05 am

how i gonna to break this code since i dun even know korean = =" any tips xD ?

내 ㅑ 쇄ㅕ홋 ㅑ 재ㅕㅣㅇ ㅡ맏 ㅁ ㅏㅐㄱㄷ무 ㅅㄷㄴㅌㅅ 쵸ㅔㅗㄷㄱ. ㅑ 쟈ㅣㅣ ㅔ개ㅠ뮤ㅣㅛ 랙ㅎㄷㅅ 좀ㅅ ㅑㅅ ㅡㄷ문 ㅠㅕㅅ ㅗ됴, ㅑ ㅊ무 랴ㅕㄱㄷ ㅑㅅ ㅐㅕㅅ ㅠㅛ 래ㅣㅣㅐ쟈ㅜㅎ 솓 뇨ㅡㅠ민 ㅐㅜ ㅡㅛ ㅏ됴ㅠㅐㅁㄱㅇ
    OptimusYale
    OptimusYale

Post by OptimusYale Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:22 am

its not in korean Razz It's English typed on a korean keyboard Smile

I'll give you one or two letters at some other time. Remember solo letters are most likely I or A, but there are no spaces as I forgot its double space
    coolnerdbird
    coolnerdbird

Male Posts : 95
    Speed Credits : 1636

Post by coolnerdbird Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:16 am

Yay me and spilling milk on my keyboard xD. My comp. is all fixed now so more coded message -YAY- xP
    Ruby
    Ruby

Male Posts : 161
    Speed Credits : 244

Post by Ruby Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:43 am

Guys, its just leet you know

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 9:13 am