Turbo Duel Academy

Welcome to our academy, this academy offers what you'll see in other academies, and MANY things that you won't see anywhere else. Come and join the fun.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Turbo Duel Academy

Welcome to our academy, this academy offers what you'll see in other academies, and MANY things that you won't see anywhere else. Come and join the fun.

Turbo Duel Academy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Are you new?Post an Intro!
Portal updated on: October 5th, 2010
TDA's Bounty Hunter's Lounge: Week 13 Bounties!

3 posters

The Broken Game and God Cards!

OptimusYale
    OptimusYale

Male Posts : 453
    Speed Credits : 2825

The Broken Game and God Cards! Empty The Broken Game and God Cards!

Post by OptimusYale Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:27 am

So I sit here writing this with nearly 10 years of experience dueling, minus a year or two I had as a hiatus! So this article will be like an old man who rants at the children for running in the street, or the old gentlemen reminising about the way the world used to be. But I don't speak lightly on this subject, it's something that has been annoying me since my return a few weeks ago!

The Issue I'll discuss is how broken the game has become, with cards being so much more overpowered and cheap than ever before. I will also discuss how the Egyptian God Cards could easily fit back into the game and not look as broken as they once did.

Breaking a OCG is something which should never happen within the realm of that game. This is why we have a ban list (which IMO has some rather outdated cards which aren't as powerful as they once were, see next article). Cards such as Yatta Garasu and Change of Heart became broken cards, in other words they were too overpowered! On my arrival back into the dueling world I created my old favourite Dark Magicians deck. Now before in the land of monarch decks and gadget rush decks, a duelist who had enough skill to use the combos efficiently and effectively could easily take down those decks most of the time! So I thought they would never become completely redundant. I packed my deck 45 high (yes its too much but sometimes more is less) and set to duel. I knew not of Synchro summons or of battle step special summon cards....I wish I had.

So here are the cards which I feel are broken! This is just some of them, not all of them and I find new cards with broken effects every day.

Tragoedia
    Gorz The Emissary of Darkness

Tragodeia

Dark / 10 stars / Fiend - Effect:
    When you take Battle Damage you can Special Summon this card from your hand. This card's original ATK and DEF become 600 x each card in your hand. Once per turn, you can send 1 monster from your hand to the Graveyard to gain control of 1 face-up monster your opponent controls whose Level is equal to the sent monster's. Once per turn, you can select 1 monster in your Graveyard to have the Level of this card become the Level of the selected monster until the End Phase.
    ATK:? DEF:?

From what I've read, and been told is that this monster cannot be the subject of traps because of its summoning in the damage step. If this is true this makes this card potentially an absolute beast. Its summon cannot be chained, which is always a problem. But this I am not sure so I wont run into details here. First effect: Send one monster from your hand to gain control of an opponents monster with the same level. This potentially is catastrophic.Using light of intervention to stop face down monsters this card could break through defences with ease. obviously your losing cards in the hand decreasing his attack power, but that isn't too damaging if you steal an opponents beat stick or the card their deck flows round (for example my Dark Magician). This effect is far too powerful to have 3 in the deck alone. But then lets look at the other effect.
    Once per turn, you can select 1 monster in your Graveyard to have the Level of this card become the Level of the selected monster until the End Phase.
    Not even remove the card from the grave, just select it...so Imagine running a weenie rush deck, with gravity bind in operation, your opponent thinks the best way to defend the lp's is to keep his current monsters in attack mode and set a few defense monsters. Now Trag can become a lvl 1 monster, BOOM a potential 4200 attack monster attacking underneath the gravity bind...absolute pain in any duel let alone one where your opponent is stuck under the gravity bind. I think it's safe to see how abused this card COULD be in the right deck. The next card is very similar in power and should be banned completely.

Gorz Emissary of Darkness

Dark, Fiend, Level 7 ATK: 2700 DEF: 2500

When you take damage from a card your opponent controls while you control no cards, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. Then activate the appropriate effect, based on the type of damage:
    ● Battle Damage: Special Summon 1 "Emissary of Darkness Token" (Fairy-Type/LIGHT/Level 7/ATK ?/DEF ?). Its ATK and DEF are each equal to the amount of battle damage you took.
    ● Effect Damage: Inflict damage to your opponent equal to the damage you took.

Wow, this card shocked me when I first saw it. I had my opponent cleared, summoned my magicians. I think there were 2 Dark Magicians, 1 In the grave, and A dark magician girl. thats 7300 damage ready to be inflicted right there. I attacked with my Magician first then boom, he loses 2500 LPS and gets his own 2500 atk token and a 2700 atk monster in one turn. Obviously this stops my attacks...what could I do? I spent my hand clearing his field before, again he cant be chained to because of its summoning happening in the battle step. Least to say I was pretty annoyed by this. I managed to still go on and win the duel, but it should have ended earlier.

Now it also must be said that this card can be summoned on the first turn. Imagine playing a direct LP's deck, someone uses Hinotama (its a weak card but someone used it against me) in their first turn. Thats a 2700 atk monster before the duel has really begun, I mean that is unfair at the best of times. It then becomes either a base to beat stick someone with or even a tribute for those pesky monarchs to remove any type of M/T they may have. Just ouch. Now consider the broken effect of this card, and compare it to a card which has been on the ban list for a long time!

Dark Magician of Chaos

Dark, Spellcaster, Level 8 ATK: 2800 DEF: 2700

When this card is Normal or Special Summoned, you can select and add 1 Spell Card from your Graveyard to your hand. Monsters this card destroys by battle are removed from play instead of going to the Graveyard. If this face-up card is destroyed or removed from the field, it is removed from play.

This card still requires 2 tributes for its summoning, which at times may be easy, other times it can be difficult and you get a magic card back. Now this is something which could be a little difficult but still...less broken than both Gorz and Trag as this requires effort to summon...whereas a lucky draw allows one to summon Gorz and Trag whenever!

So I've just picked on two cards here but there are many more that I could discuss their brokenness. Any of the Synchro monsters for example are broken merely for how relatively simple it is to summon them. Summoning a big monster should be something of an achievement. Back in my day it was, summoning that blue eyes dragon straight out the starter deck...dear o dear it was something to be proud of...now its just too easy to summon these beat sticks!

Next in this article I will discuss how the Egyptian God Cards as they appear on KCVDS would slot nicely into the game and not break it more than TRAG and Gorz do!

Obelisk the Tormentor
    Light, Divine Beast, Level 10, ATK:4000 DEF: 4000

You must tribute 3 monsters you control to Normal Summon this card (you may not set this card). The normal summon of this card cannot be negated. When this card is normal summoned, a spell, trap, or effect monster card cannot be activated. This card cannot be targetted by the effects of a spell, trap or effect monster. If this card is special summoned, it is sent to the Graveyard during the end phrase. You can Tribute 2 monsters to destroy all monsters your opponent controls. This card cannot declare and attack the turn this effect is activated.

So some would say the least powerful of the three god cards...thought it was a good place to start. I've heard rumours of a playable version coming out...how true this is I don't know but I still think this card could be pushed in as it is. First of all its summon cannot be negated, so no solemn judgement to stop this card (Similar to Gorz on Gorz is special summoned). No effects can be activated when its summoned and it cannot be targetted by effects. So eventually a mirror force could be activated if I understand the effect correctly. And even if the card is summoned...4000 attack is nothing catastrophic. Current dragon decks could run out FGD just as quickly to destroy the card in battle. The card also requires a considerable tribute to get it on the field. 3 monsters is steep...very steep and although it could be simple to get it on the field (Ultimate offering + Gadgets) and then use its tribute two more monsters...its still a tricky combo to get right. and also you cannot declare an attack one its effect is activated...that in itself makes it more playable...like Chaos Sorcerer removing one card, this card can remove them all and not attack. Maybe to make the card more playable you could change that effect to you cannot declare an attack the turn this card is activated. Also make it so magic cards can still be activated (if it acts like a Jinzo, skill drain and horus all as one) just not targeting effects that target this monster. Also special summoning the card should remove it from game at the end of the turn?

Slifer the Sky Dragon or its true name Osiris

Light, Divine Beast Level 10 ATK: XXXX DEF: XXXX

You must tribute 3 monsters you control to Normal Summon this card (you may not set this card). The normal summon of this card cannot be negated. When this card is normal summoned, a spell, trap, or effect monster card cannot be activated. This card cannot be targetted by the effects of a spell, tap or effect monster. The Atk and Def of this card becomes the number of cards in your hand x1000. When this card is special summoned, it is sent to the graveyard during the end phrase. Additionally when your opponent succesfully summons or flips summons a monster with 2000 Def or less, it destroys that card.

Slightly more broken than Obelisk, but IMO still not as broken as other cards in the game today. Again its a 3 tribute monster so summoning this card is a risk in itself. And the other effects such as not being negated or targeted. So the unique effects of this card. A thousand per card in your hand (400 more than Trag) and the ability to destroy any monster with less than 2000 Def. The thousand per card in the hand is slightly excessive, but then getting 3 monsters to the field in order to tribute is itself hand consuming. So possibly when its first summoned you could hope for 4000 atk at best...and with cards such as pot of greed being banned...its not so harsh. SO as for the attack I think its not too bad, nothing that can't be countered or unbeatable. The true harshness of this card lies in its effect which destroys summoned monsters with less than 2000 def. Its only when its summoned...so you can still mount a defense with set monsters and hand removal cards would be pretty nice! It also messes with monarchs as they dont really have 2000 def or more which is always good. It would ruin gadget decks....Synchro decks and actually nearly all the meta decks in today's game. Which lets be honnest...is definately a good thing Smile This card is still subject to gravity binds and only destroys the monsters...not takes control of them so IMO its less broken than Trag as Trag has potential to be a god in its own right!

The Winged Dragon of Ra

Light, Divine Beast, Level 10 ATK:? DEF:?

You must tribute 3 monsters you control to Normal Summon this card (you may not set this card). The normal summon of this card cannot be negated. When this card is normal summoned, a spell, trap, or effect monster card cannot be activated. This card cannot be targetted by the effects of a spell, trap or effect monsters. The ATK and DEF of this card becomes the sum of the respective ATK and DEF values of the tributes. When this card is special summoned it is sent to the graveyard during the end phase. When this card is successfully special summoned, you may activate one of the following effects:
    -pay 1000 Life points to destroy one monster on the field and remove it from the game.
    - Pay all but 1 Life Point and increase the ATK and DEF by the amount of Life Points Paid.

In my opinion the most broken of all three god cards. Its original effect is not that great. It almost stops people from running nimbles and germs to use for tributes...as that makes the card just as powerful as a Blue eyes and therefore easily killable. The main problem with this card is the last effect. All but 1 Life point to increase the attack. So potential 7999 attack or even more. Obviously a weakness to this would be threatening roar or winged Kuriboh or even a normal kuriboh from the hand. You use 99.9% of your LP's just to have the damage negated, or the attack negated or no attacks at all in that turn. It would seriously be a risk. And now thinking about it...this card is not that broken at all. There are many cards out there with the gain attack points such as Chimaratech and things like that...so nothing too different. Special summoning it for one turn is Harsh to say the least but nothing uncounterable...so maybe all three god cards could be run in the game as they are!!!!

Anyways I've been writing this article for nearly 2 hours...I didn't even spend that long writing my university papers! So Hope you guys enjoy and read this...It will be exclusive to here for a week before I post it to KC! So Enjoy and Peace out! This old man is going to eat some breakfast!
    DanceJonDance
    DanceJonDance

Male Posts : 1160
    Speed Credits : 3876

The Broken Game and God Cards! Empty Re: The Broken Game and God Cards!

Post by DanceJonDance Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:37 am

Nice article Optimus. I wrote something pretty similar in some other noob academy when I was first introduced to synchro monsters.
    Like you I had been running decks that had spell casters, and other dark magician support cards until I started playing KCVDS 1.15 and was introduced to monarchs, gadgets, etc. They obviously wiped the floor with my poor dark magician and the other 50 support cards I had in my deck (cards like solemn wishes, stealth bird, and three sakuretsu armors. I know right?) I looked into monarchs and built a decent perfect circle deck that allowed me to reach a high rank in my first ever academy LDA (shout out to them) and it was all dandy until KCVDS 1.16 came out.

Few weeks before it my friend njr689 introduced me to synchros and blackwings, etc. They'd been out for a while, but I wasn't familiar with them since I was still playing with the stuff 1.15 had to offer. When I dueled someone and they busted out a stardust dragon i was like holly fuuuu** that is way broken. That needs to get banned! Then i saw armor master, and black rose dragon... all these synchros and i was like wtf how can i even compete with crap like goyo guardian?!

At first the synchro monsters can seem a little intimidating, and cards like gorz and tragoedia will often catch you off guard, as will Honest. However, once you get familiar with these cards you find their weaknesses. Whenever I see a stardust dragon I think wow he could've got something way better out that would've helped him, but his fear of my traps made him bring that out =P and I just get rid of it with cards like caius, phoenix wing wind blast or dimensional prison.

The cards are strong, but they aren't unbeatable. You just need to get familiarized with the new path the game has taken. This isn't your old school Jinzo will kick your butt era anymore :] if you were a good duelist before you will learn to evolve and become a good duelist in this new synchro monster era.
    OptimusYale
    OptimusYale

Male Posts : 453
    Speed Credits : 2825

Post by OptimusYale Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:37 am

Yeah I'm finding myself getting more and more used to them, and I can kind of slap them around a bit now Smile I've also started throwing in synchros intro my deck as they can help when your in a pickle. My main problem is just that on the banned list there are many weaker cards than these cards, and in the interest of the game maybe they should un ban them and open up more meta's so theres more variety. Also I think its time the god cards got a release...but thats just me..im too old school!

The cards I mainly struggle countering is trag and Gorz because theres no way of knowing if they're gonna pop up...especially with disjointed decks where people will put them in because theyre just powerful..if they run with the theme then you can predict...like honnest you can almost predict her coming out...still havent thought of a way of countering her though...something I may need help with!
    DanceJonDance
    DanceJonDance

Male Posts : 1160
    Speed Credits : 3876

Post by DanceJonDance Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:20 pm

It's usually easy to tell when gorz is coming out. I'm usually kind of scared to attack an opponent when he has an empty field. I usually attack with my weaker monsters first so he's forced to bring out gorz with one of the weaker monster attacks and his token is not much of a threat, and I also try to see if I'll have a mirror force, smashing, etc. Ready to pop it. Tragoedia is usually not that much of a pain simply because a lot of monsters can get past its attack. It's not very often that it will get 3600 atk since your opponent will want to protect it with cards in his hand. I think tragoedia's main thing is the fact that it can copy levels which helps for synchro summoning.
    Supreme_King
    Supreme_King

Male Posts : 618
    Speed Credits : 4320

Post by Supreme_King Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:10 pm

DJD, sry but I don't really agree. I personally choose Tragoedia over Gorz for a multitude of reasons:
    1. All the protection Gorz has+no DCK, no Divine Wrath cause of the pesky token.
    2. Ideal for Synchro Summoning, and with this era where 2,4,6 and 8 level monsters are the rulers, it's easy to grab an opponent's Soldier of Mist Valley by discarding a LV 4, copy the LV 4 u discarded, then synch for LV 8 with no Normal Summoning at ALL and by using an opponent's monster as material.
    3. Tragoedia is veeeeeeery unpredictable. It can come after 100 LP down, or after taking a full 5K blow from FGD. No one can see that thing coming.
    4. UNLIMITED Very Happy

Those are the reasons I run at least 1 Tragoedia in almost any deck I have to date.

~~~Supreme_King~~~

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:00 pm