Turbo Duel Academy

Welcome to our academy, this academy offers what you'll see in other academies, and MANY things that you won't see anywhere else. Come and join the fun.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Turbo Duel Academy

Welcome to our academy, this academy offers what you'll see in other academies, and MANY things that you won't see anywhere else. Come and join the fun.

Turbo Duel Academy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Are you new?Post an Intro!
Portal updated on: October 5th, 2010
TDA's Bounty Hunter's Lounge: Week 13 Bounties!

5 posters

The New Game Changer

DanceJonDance
    DanceJonDance

Male Posts : 1160
    Speed Credits : 3876

The New Game Changer Empty The New Game Changer

Post by DanceJonDance Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:31 am

Ever so often there comes a card that changes the game of Yu-Gi-Oh as we know it. It becomes a staple of the current format and will often stay there for years and years. When the Yu-Gi-Oh Trading Card Game first got to America the instant staples were the Blue-Eyes White Dragon and Dark Magician based on the character you liked most in the anime. We know now that those cards are pretty useless, and are not even remotely close to being staples, but back then we had no idea which cards were good, and which cards were not. Most cards were normal monsters, and magic cards used in the anime. As people began to get the hang of the game, and started to take it to the competitive level, they realized that big bad monsters from the anime didn't win you duels, but magic cards that worked with nearly every deck you could build were your best bet.

With the release of Legend of Blue-Eyes there weren't too many cards which could b e considered competitive, and most of the spells in that set are banned today. These spells include: Raigeki, Monster Reborn, and Dark Hole. Monster reborn has spent more time on the ban list than it has out of it, but it does manage to come out and do a little bit of damage to opponents every time Konami lets it out of the cage. Monster Reborn was probably the first staple card in the TCG because its power to let you special summon any monster from your graveyard opened up several possibilities to punish your opponent. The combo that always got to my friends was when I drew Monster Reborn, and Card Destruction (from Starter Deck: Yugi) then waited to dump a Dark Magician in the grave with Monster Reborn set, and bringing out Dark Magician and owning their Mystic Clowns, and Mystic Elves. Monster reborn was one of those cards that allowed you to use other cards along with it in order to do something that would usually be hard, like sacrificing two monsters for a Dark Magician, and make it simple with a combo. As the game of Yu-Gi-Oh got more sets, it more complex. There were more cards, and all of them could be pretty devastating in any deck. Most of these cards have made some trips to the ban list, and often find their way out.

Today most of the staples we use made their debut in some of the earlier sets of Yu-Gi-Oh, and have been able to stand the test of time to make their way into our decks eight years later. Some of the most commonly used staples are cards like Mirror Force, Heavy Storm, Brain Control, Torrential Tribute, and Bottomless Trap Hole to name a few. Most of these cards were game changers, and are so flexible that they will fit in any deck. However, there are some other cards that aren't as flexible as spell, and trap cards, but without a doubt were game changers when they were released. The card that would probably be the biggest game changer up to date is Dark Armed Dragon because,unlike cards like Judgement Dragon, DAD can be used in any deck that runs DARK monsters from Destiny Heroes, to Zombies, and more commonly today, Blackwings. JD is a pure Lightsworn monster, and can't really be considered too much of a game changer in my opinion, but most people would disagree with me. A lot of people believe JD to be unstoppable once he's on the field unless you make a huge sacrifice by using Solemn Judgment on him, or being lucky enough to have a Royal Oppression set by the time he is out on the field. The fact that he is semi-limited, and the existence of cards like monster reincarnation, and beckoning light, makes it even harder to keep JD off the field, and even if you do have a Royal Oppression set, Lightsworns users tend to get rid of them with Celestias, Lylas, and Heavy Storms. I would understand why he is considered such a powerful monster, but in my opinion a game changer is a card that can be used in potentially more than one deck, and will devastate decks for it.

JD is the biggest reason for people running Lightsworns, and I made an article before mentioning how Lightsworns seem to be favored by Konami, and that there is hardly any support for other decks to stop LS and JD--In comes the new game changer: Starlight Road. Most of you are unfamiliar with this card since it won't be released in the TCG for another month. Let me get you guys acquainted with Starlight Road, this card's effect is as follows: Activate only when an effect was activated that destroys 2 or more cards you control. Negate that effect and destroy that card. Then, you can Special Summon 1 "Stardust Dragon" from your Extra Deck. Most people run two Stardust Dragons in their deck so this card is a no brainier to add to any deck or at the very least any side deck. If you thought that JD was unstoppable, and required too much of a sacrifice with cards like solemn in order to stop it from reaching the field and using its effect then the effect of Starlight Road probably hasn't sunk in yet. This card will stop JD in its tracks because JD destroys all cards on the field, and most people usually call priority on him right when he gets on the field, and it is very likely that you'll have more than two cards if your opponent is going to go out of his way to pay 1000 Life Points to clear the field. Starlight will not make you pay half your life points, it won't even make you pay 800 life points, this card will stop JD and even give you a stardust for free!

Starlight Road doesn't stop at just Judgment Dragon, he will destroy cards like Celestia and give you an instant stardust which means Lightsworns will have a huge blow thrown against them when this card is released. SR won't stop at destroying Lightsworns though, if your opponent runs Heavy Storm (trust me, he probably does) then you'll have a chance to use this card, if your opponent runs blackwings and activates Icarus Attack, then bam! Instant Stardust. I don't think there's ever been a card with the ability to negate monster effects before that was as powerful as this one. Stardust Dragon does this, but people expect you to negate effects, and find several other ways to get around Stardust Dragon. However, when you're dealing with trap cards you never know what's set on your opponent's side of the field which is what makes this card so dangerous. The possibilities are endless when it comes to this card, and I'm sure there are more examples in which this card can be used to win a game.

So I'd like for people who took the time to read this article to give me a reply with a way you think Starlight Road will be a game changer for you.
    The Detonator
    The Detonator

Male Posts : 1147
    Speed Credits : 850

The New Game Changer Empty Re: The New Game Changer

Post by The Detonator Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:13 am

Its interesting to see a card that can do that but the main problem is not a lot of cards will destroy 2 or more cards on the field. Staple cards possible of doing this are: Mirror Force, Bottomless Trap Hole (Rare but Possible), Torrential Tribute, Heavy Storm and Black Rose Dragon. Even then not everybody uses these staples, (yes believe it or not some people hate Mirror and Torrential, they in my opinion are game changes... i don't know why you wouldn't use them).

Lets move on to Starlight Road and its second effect. Stardust Dragon:
    In this case, the summon of Stardust Dragon is NOT considered a Synchro Summon. So if you were to activate this Stardust Dragon's effect it would not be able to Special Summon itself back to the field during the End Phase because it was not conseidered properly Synchro Summoned. Even Call of the Haunted or my favourite Light and Darkness Dragon won't bring this guy back from the Graveyard after its been sent there.

So could it be a dead draw? Yes.
    Should it be sided? Definately.
    Is it game changer? imo not yet.

However nice article i like how you went through the history of the game changes, we can see they have been getting more and more powerful and we can see the game has sped up dramatically since the days of Monster Reborn.

--The Detonator--
    OptimusYale
    OptimusYale

Male Posts : 453
    Speed Credits : 2825

Post by OptimusYale Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:18 am

It will be a game changer and I think Konami have sent it from the heavens to make people think more tactically with their card useage. This card will be in EVERY deck. I actually would even run it in a deck with no tuners....cheap easy 2500 attack monster. The best way to counter this card ruining the game would be to unrestrict mystic space typhoon, that way you have more chance of just destroying one card. Dust tornado will also become popular again. Konami have released a little gem with this card which could bring back some cards which have been confined to the card cases for months.

Also word on the grape vine is that this card will either

a) allow you to use stardusts effect, but because he was not synchro summoned you cannot resummon it

b)not be able to use the effect at all

This kind of balances out. And its no biggie...how easy is it these days to get a synchro monster on the field when the tide is against you! I was gonna write a similar article when I saw it! Also DJD you seen the sin version of stardust dragon? Thats a sweet card Razz
    DanceJonDance
    DanceJonDance

Post by DanceJonDance Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:19 am

@Det

Well of course it has its downfall, but how often do you syncrho summon two stardust dragons in one game? I know I don't do it too often, but yet I run two stardusts just in case, so why wouldn't it be a game changer if you're most likely only gonna synchro summon one stardust, and with starlight road you'll be able to get a free 2500 ATK beater that can negate something at least once, and doesn't cost you life points to activate which is the case for some cards like Solemn, and Royal Oppression.
    The Detonator
    The Detonator

Post by The Detonator Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:28 am

@ Optimus
    The answer is a). xD

@DJD
    Thats your opinion. To me this card would be better off in my side deck, I wouldn't main it for the pure reason that it doesn't have a wide range of cards that it would be able to be chained to, since
    a). Mirror Force can and often is activated when only one monster is on the field.
    b). Heavy Storm, same deal.
    c). Whats to say these cards aren't used before you draw Starlight Road.

I hate dead draws, but Solemn can be chained to alot of cards, Royal Opression, the same thing. Yes ok it can Summon a Stardust Dragon with 2500 ATK but these days even he has problems remaining on the field for more than 2 turns and because he is not resummonable its fairly easy to get rid of with a Smashing Ground anyway. Sided would be the best option but that is also my opinion. Lets leave it at that.

--The Detonator--
    DanceJonDance
    DanceJonDance

Post by DanceJonDance Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:38 am

The problem with your argument is that you're not exactly a real life yugioh player (I mean that literally btw! Of course you're a real duelist, and a good one at that). All you know is KCVDS and TDA. We encourage people to stay away from Lightsworns, and for the most part people at TDA do because every card is available online, however, this is not the case in real life.

In real life cards are expensive, and like most smart people would do, duelists put their money where it's worth it. Right now the best investment is Lightsworns and that's why they are so overused. For you, and the TDA community of course this card is better off in our side decks because everyone gets tired of using and dueling LS so we try out new things, but you have to remember that TDA is but a drop in the bucket compared to the REAL dueling community outside of the internet. The real duelists is where the game is at, and where releases like this change the game. So sure it's not a game changer for us for reasons mentioned above, but for real duelists that dedicate themselves to Yu-Gi-Oh this card is what I mentioned above, and possibly more.

For lightsworn users it represents the fact that they now have to watch out for this card, and be careful when bringing out JD. It will change their entire game plan and will force them to make modifications to their decks that revolve around this game changing card because they are not going to just not use Lightsworns after having spent nearly $700 on their decks. If you look at the top decks in tournaments like Shonen Jump you'll see that more than half of them are LS. Lightsworns are big in the real community, and the real community will feel the changes that Starlight Road will bring, and that's what this article is about. For us though we're safe because we don't all run Lightsworns :]

Very good points though since your take on dueling just comes from KCVDS.

gg
    The Detonator
    The Detonator

Post by The Detonator Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:55 am

You are right i do not play the real life Yugioh Trading Card Game.... or Childrens Card Game for some.... but i do acknowledge that Lightsworns are very overly used in real life and are winning the big tournaments everywhere.

For the real life players, I agree this card will be much more influential and worth whatever it costs.
    For the Lightsworn users, yes, watch out,
    For the online only duelers like me, well, I've said what I've needed to say x]

Loving the articles, keep them going Smile

--The Detonator--
    Janembo
    Janembo

Male Posts : 294
    Speed Credits : 2900

Post by Janembo Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:43 am

Good artice...but still...I do not like that starlight road @ all...Stardsust dragon assault mode will be a lot faster,but on the other hand I think it whont be used so much in other decks since SDD can't be re summoned.
    On one point I am with deto @ his first post.
    @ other point I agree with DJD but I can't comment on his last post since I quit playing yugioh in real life...I actionaly pause it cuz I don't have time.But if I remember on my regionals only one guy played LS (since others can't/don't want to afford them since they are expensive like hell...I whuld personaly buy a nother PC and connect it to this one b4 buying LS lol)they usualy run BW,GB and macro monarchs I actionaly runed in Instant fusion synchro deck(so cheap...yet so effective if played right)but I traded it(cuz I'm a fool)still...I need only 17 cards more to finish exodia otk Very Happy
    Gothicmess
    Gothicmess

Male Posts : 341
    Speed Credits : 1376

Post by Gothicmess Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:03 am

Not a big fan of Stardust, most things on any common deck can run over it now a days.

I do agree with the fat that LS and BW run wild in real life, but so do GB, in wich case GB will in fact make a real good use of this card since they don't normally add negation cards except for the 3000 fusion.

This card does hold a good game change possibilities but as all cards it holds a draw back for some decks, for example Gorz, you wont be able to get rid of that set card on your field unless your opponent activates the trigger, thus your beater wont come out, if your opponent already used his good cards on you, your better of using it as a cost then setting it in this case.

So yes watch out for the card, but dont worry about it.
    DanceJonDance
    DanceJonDance

Post by DanceJonDance Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:05 am

The only decks this card should be sided out against are machinas, and hamster/cat which are pretty popular right now irl, but this card is great against bws, ls, gbs, etc. I've been maining it at my locals with blackwings and the first thing someone tries to do when I get wirlwind on the field is heavy storm me. They think i have a set icarus and bam starlight road pops out with a free stardust negation. If you're worried about cards like gorz in your hand and starlight being set then it's simple Razz run tragoedia instead. For us KCVDS players this card isn't even out so you guys don't really see it as a game changer, but when you got field control and your opponent tries to nuke with black rose dragon or blow up your back row starlight road can be more devastating than solemn judgment.
    Gothicmess
    Gothicmess

Male Posts : 341
    Speed Credits : 1376

Post by Gothicmess Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:29 pm

I do agree that like Gorz in the last moment while you both have no more cards in hand Is a game changer, just like a desperate move from your opponent can trigger SR, it's not a definite game changer in My book. For me game changers like Monster Reborn or even Chaos emperor dragon are cards that require little or no conditions for effect, as opposed to SR it does need a specific condition for a activation, although in does work real well against specific metas out there it is still a side deck card for most decks, thus not a definite game changer, although powerful it is still on the waiting list for staple.

On the other hand, players running Monster reborn, DaD, tec, have them in the main deck for the same reason, they know they can change the game in an instant because it gives them advantage that second, as opposed to SD, by drawing it it doesn't give you much advantage if your opponent used some major cards on you, in this situation you'll have to taunt him with set cards (or an activated one) for him to do a rash move.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:51 am